Why would SW need this information re homeowner SF applicant will temp stay

Marge

Hi there,

Can you perhaps help with the following.

My aunty in her 60s lives alone. She is seperated from Husband and owns her home, no pension, no other savings. She works parttime (min wage) and as there is not enough work most weeks, she gets a small top up from social welfare. Due to her low earnings she also is entitled to a medical card.

Q is - her son has been unemployed for over a year. He was receiving benefit for the initial period, but now has to apply for what I think is called jobseekers allowance. (He has been job hunting and accomodation hunting like a deamon to no avail.)
He has now moved in with my aunt for a termpory period of time while his hunting continues - (she will not charge him rent etc.. as its short-term arrangement.)

He is telling her that for his SW application, that as he is staying with her, SW need to see her p60, mortgage details, payslip etc.... Can anyone advise why this would be? Her son is 36, so what would her details have to do with him? She is letting him stay as a family member FOC etc..

I am worried for her that this arrangement could now affect her earning and medical card entitlement?Any ideas what this might be about?

Thanks in advance.

Marge

I suggested this scenario in another post but didnt get an opinion on it yet .....
What if your aunt were to avail of the rent-a-room scheme - she'd be allowed 6,000 euro a year tax-free ... say she charges her nephew 100 per week - and he might get a more favourable response from SW
If she wanted she could use the money as a kitty for essentials for the house (and anyone living in it .....) ?????

Also, I thought if the claimant was over 25 y.o. the householder's income etc was not examined

As her son is over 25, the mother's income is not relevant. He must have got wrong information or is mistaken.

Many thanks for your replies.

I called the SW this morning and they also confirmed that he must have some wrong information/wires crossed somewhere.

Many thanks.

Marge

Back