Why the dearth of therapeutics for people who have Covid 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelm

I'm interested as to why, 18 months in, we don't seem to have much in the way of therapeutics for Covid-19. My search on AAM for "Ivermectin" yielded a simple question which seemed to evoke an anaphylactic reaction. It seems that it is being deployed in various parts of India, South America and elsewhere. For anyone interested, this YouTube video, albeit 20 mins long, seems to be a calm take on it.

Disclaimer: (for some reason I feel the need to include this) I am not anti-vaccine (in fact I have already received my jab), I just subscribe to the notion that the best way to make progress is to not be afraid of learning more.

I'm interested as to why, 18 months in, we don't seem to have much in the way of therapeutics for Covid-19. My search on AAM for "Ivermectin" yielded a simple question which seemed to evoke an anaphylactic reaction. It seems that it is being deployed in various parts of India, South America and elsewhere. For anyone interested, this YouTube video, albeit 20 mins long, seems to be a calm take on it.

Disclaimer: (for some reason I feel the need to include this) I am not anti-vaccine (in fact I have already received my jab), I just subscribe to the notion that the best way to make progress is to not be afraid of learning more.
There's WHO Guidance here.

The UK were using Dexamethasone steroid... it reduced mortality in hospitalised patients requiring oxygen.
Other studies are exploring different steroids.

I think I read another study that a common asthma steroid inhaler aided home recovery.

Some of the proposed 'wonder' treatments such as Invermectin are taken up, not necessarily by anti-vax brigade, but by anti-restrictions \ anti-authority groups with a claim of "We don't need restrictions, there is a readily available wonder drug out there that they are trying to stop you from having."
Maybe Invermectin is effective but the data isn't there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back