Why is so much made of Enterprise Ireland exports?

Salvadore

Results from Enterprise Ireland show exports of €32bn by client companies in 2022. By my reading, this represents about 15% of Ireland’s total exports of €208bn.

So 85% of Ireland’s exports are achieved at no cost to the state but the headlines are invariably around Enterprise Ireland who you might be forgiven for assuming were at the centre of everything.

I understand Enterprise Ireland’s role in supporting startups but many of their client companies are well-established entities going back decades that you would assume are capable of going it alone without the state holding their hands.

Are they as critical to Ireland’s export performance as we’re being told?

Would be interested in other people’s take.

That wasn’t what I said but your misinterpretation and focus on EI is consistent with the point I was making.
Ok then, exactly what headlines are you referring to here?
So 85% of Ireland’s exports are achieved at no cost to the state but the headlines are invariably around Enterprise Ireland
You seem to be implying that most or all headlines about Irish exports are about EI? Even if this were true, and there's no evidence presented to support that assertion, then maybe EI just have a good PR department?

You seem to be implying that most or all headlines about Irish exports are about EI? Even if this were true, and there's no evidence presented to support that assertion, then maybe EI just have a good PR department?
Yeah that’s a view. You could be right.

What I was really getting at though was whether EI is really worth the expense to support Ireland’s export performance when the bulk of exporting companies don’t need to need them at all.

What I was really getting at though was whether EI is really worth the expense to support Ireland’s export performance when the bulk of exporting companies don’t need to need them at all.
I am far from an expert, but the logic is generally to support companies to get started with exports rather than beginning from scratch.

Kingspan, Glanbia, etc, generally don't need support to export more.

Start ups are usually supported by your local LEO unless it is a major start up. They get handed over to EI, usually when they have 10 employees or more or fall into certain industry categories.

Most of what EI support is real exports, tangible business and not makey up accountancy and tax avoidance schemes, EI do a decent enough job, why knock them?

Start ups are usually supported by your local LEO unless it is a major start up. They get handed over to EI, usually when they have 10 employees or more or fall into certain industry categories.

Most of what EI support is real exports, tangible business and not makey up accountancy and tax avoidance schemes, EI do a decent enough job, why knock them?
I’m not knocking them. Just pointing out that the vast bulk of Ireland’s exports occur without their intervention.

I am far from an expert, but the logic is generally to support companies to get started with exports rather than beginning from scratch.

Kingspan, Glanbia, etc, generally don't need support to export more.
They deal with some fairly well established large companies that you wouldn’t think should need state assistance any more.

They deal with some fairly well established large companies that you wouldn’t think should need state assistance any more.
My guess (and it's only that) is that the support to large firms is kind of niche - exporting for the first time to Uzbekistan or the like.

My guess (and it's only that) is that the support to large firms is kind of niche - exporting for the first time to Uzbekistan or the like.
I don’t think they deal in obscure markets that wouldn’t provide a critical mass. Their focus is UK, eurozone and the US

EI supports start-up's and existing businesses that are export focused. They don't have to be big but they do have to be exporters.
They supply funding in the form of EU Grants and Irish Government Grants and in the case of start-up's they will take an equity share in return for funding. They are focused on supporting companies which develop their own Intellectual Property and their funding mechanisms are structured to that end.
In my experience of dealing with them over the last 15-20 years they are an excellent organisation. Their overseas offices are particularly good, with staff who are more dynamic and proactive than the Irish based staff who are more like Civil Servants.
Many of the larger companies they support don't receive much direct funding, rather they get help with collaborations with MNC's, export development, management training and linkages with Universities.

In my opinion they are excellent value for money.

Last edited:
EI supports start-up's and existing businesses that are export focused. They don't have to be big but they do have to be exporters.
They supply funding in the form of EU Grants and Irish Government Grants and in the care of start-up's they will take an equity share in return for funding. They are focused on supporting companies which develop their own Intellectual Property and their funding mechanisms are structured to that end.
In my experience of dealing with them over the last 15-20 years they are an excellent organisation. Their overseas offices are particularly good, with staff who are more dynamic and proactive than the Irish based staff who are more like Civil Servants.
Many of the larger companies they support don't receive much direct funding, rather they get help with collaborations with MNC's, export development, management training and linkages with Universities.

In my opinion they are excellent value for money.
That’s a very good insight. Thanks

Back