Why is home heating oil here so expensive ? compared to NI.

Smart_Saver

Hi
Home heating oil/kerosene whatever is around the €840/850 mark at the moment for 1000 litres. source .. http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Galway.aspx
In northern Ireland it is under €700 for same amount (when you convert across Pounds to Euro).. source .. http://www.cheapestoil.co.uk/Heating-Oil-NI.aspx

Why so? Diesel & Petrol at the pump are a lot more expensive in NI than down here but why is it the opposite for Home heating ? Is it subsidised? Maybe this has been answered already and if so maybe you could just post a link to the answer.
thanks

From May 1st 2010 – the new carbon tax will result in a price increase of Kerosene (Heating Oil) by 4.3 cent a litre including VAT. This will mean an extra €43 Euro on 1000 litres – which is an increase of about 6.5%
http://www.*****************.com/category/heating-oil

Thanks Cashier for the information on the carbon tax increase last May but does anyone know what the total tax take is for 1000 litres of kero?

nearly sure the vat here is 13.5% and NI is 5%
not sure of the total tax take including carbon tax etc.....

yep - tax difference.

refinery price is about 60c per litre, distribution costs are about 10c and then 3.5c carbon tax and 13.5% vat

In NI, 50p is refinery price, distribution costs about 8p and then 5% vat.

On motor fuels the uk has higher duties, so probably evens out.

Wouldn't importing be illegal? unless duty was paid, and remember it's easy to spot as kero in south is red, north is green

Wouldn't importing be illegal? unless duty was paid, and remember it's easy to spot as kero in south is red, north is green

Yes, importing is illegal. Article in the Indo yesterday suggested Revenue were currentrly targetting this.

Can someone answer this question?

Why is buying heating oil in the North and bringing it South illegal, when doing the same with things like groceries, clothes, electronics etc not.

Never understood that, why one product is different to another.

Just to let you know that the website cheapest oil is not always the case - I regularly used this website - on one occasion the price quoted and when delivered was higher - when I phoned the supplier said the prices change on a Monday and Wednesday - I did get a refund after arguing my case for the price quoted on line on date ordered. Before Christmas I phoned around locally myself and the prices were cheaper than cheapest oil so it is still worth phoning.

Angela59

Can someone answer this question?

Why is buying heating oil in the North and bringing it South illegal, when doing the same with things like groceries, clothes, electronics etc not.

Never understood that, why one product is different to another.

EU law allows each member set restrictions/duties on the importation of three categories of excisable products - mineral oils, alcohol and alcoholic beverages, and manufactured tobacco. It is this law that means these products are treated differently to others.
Leo

EU law allows each member set restrictions/duties on the importation of three categories of excisable products - mineral oils, alcohol and alcoholic beverages, and manufactured tobacco. It is this law that means these products are treated differently to others.
Leo

Thanks for that Leo. Been asking people that question for ages now and no-one was able to give an answer.

Now I know.

should i buy home heating oil now or wait a few more weeks what do you think.

I would be inclined to wait, it is very expensive at the moment.

Back