Why don’t women who suffered the ‘Marriage Ban’ sue the State?

My poor Mam, who died last year, was terribly bitter and scarred by the loss of her job and career in a bank under the marriage ban. I thought about helping her sue as it was a terrible rule that impacted her life, career and mental health.

The attitude of some posters here demonstrates that the attitude to women and their careers remains problematic. I’d like to see their reaction if they’d been forced out of their jobs with no viable alternative into the family home . Would they say as sure it’s grand became I had a few kids then and my pension got paid out.

As a women who is successful in my career I get asked a lot for career advice, including about how to deal with discrimination by other women. Only yesterday I met with a younger woman who was passed over for partnership last year on the basis of her gender in a law firm. We’d met last year at her request to discuss her options. She took me to lunch yesterday to say thanks. I hadn’t seen her since our conversation last year. I’d spotted in LinkedIn that she’d gone in-house and assumed that, like many others, she’d just give up and left.

Yesterday she told me that she’d taken them to the WRC and had settled with them for a six figure sum. She’s subject to a NDA and cannot speak about the situation with anyone except those that she had spoken to about it prior to settling. We were not celebrating her win or the pay off. She is still off track on her career path now. She left the big five law firm and is currently trying to get back on track.

Getting back to my poor mother, I could not see an action to take on the marriage ban. The constitution still has women in the home with the grubby fingerprints of Catholic suppression of women all over it. Membership of the EU brought with it mandatory laws on discrimination thankfully. I shudder to think about what my own career would look like if we’d had the successive governments we’ve had since 1973 without those requirements to implement EU worker rights. Ostensibly I am as senior as I can get in my professional life but I know I have not earned many thousands that my male peers have. There is still so much discrimination in Irish business life, and professions. You can’t change a society or culture quickly, and men continue to hold much more power in professions.Many just don’t see the discrimination as such. I have a daughter 9 and depressingly I think she will encounter it also. I have told my kids about the marriage ban, it is a scandal that should not be forgotten. We also have discussed the gender pay gap, why the girls in the GAA and soccer teams don’t get the same quality of training as the boys, the lack of technical skills challenges in girls pink toy vs those marketed to boys. Start children seeing the world around them early.

Thanks Gordon for bringing up this topic. Made me think about poor Mam.
As a working mother with 3 children my view on this is very different. There was no childcare in Dublin up to the mid to late 80’s. Maternity leave was 12 weeks. Women used to go into work up to and including their due date. There was no parental leave. A lot of the women who stayed at home were highly critical of working mothers. This had nothing to do with religion. It was very difficult for women to work if a child got sick time off had to be taken from annual leave. Work life balance did not exist. It is now as it was then having your rights and enforcing them are very different. The judgements from the WRC are public knowledge and the max payable is 2 years salary minus social welfare. It is not what most people want on their CV. I was in the private sector so the marriage bar was irrelevant. A lot of these issues are coming up now as pensions are very different for the public and the private sector. There was a different class of ‘stamp’ or prsi paid. Hindsight has a great view.

When the social history of Ireland pre 1973 is written there will be many open mouths reading it. Of course the treatment of the marriage ban on females will feature. But, when I think back in the days (and I'm a "straight" person) the male/female homosexuality issues were mind blowing. Some of the stuff they endured was appallingly dreadful (and I'm not blaming any church). If any people are entitled to sue the state for any issues pre 1973 it is the gay community.

As a working mother with 3 children my view on this is very different. There was no childcare in Dublin up to the mid to late 80’s. Maternity leave was 12 weeks. Women used to go into work up to and including their due date. There was no parental leave. A lot of the women who stayed at home were highly critical of working mothers. This had nothing to do with religion. It was very difficult for women to work if a child got sick time off had to be taken from annual leave. Work life balance did not exist. It is now as it was then having your rights and enforcing them are very different. The judgements from the WRC are public knowledge and the max payable is 2 years salary minus social welfare. It is not what most people want on their CV. I was in the private sector so the marriage bar was irrelevant. A lot of these issues are coming up now as pensions are very different for the public and the private sector. There was a different class of ‘stamp’ or prsi paid. Hindsight has a great view.
Every word of this is true.

My eldest sister was in the civil service and at the time she married, the “ban” had been lifted and was replaced by a lump sum incentive to leave within 3 years of marriage.

Her husband’s employment was precarious and so she decided to stay in her job for the sake of a regular income.

For a long time, she was bitter about having to forego the lump sum when many of colleagues married “well”, left their jobs and got a nice deposit for a decent house.

She got all the grief that was going about being a two-income household when many households didn’t even have one.

It was a horrible time to live in Ireland - no matter which side of the line you inhabited.

Admittedly I don't consume much Irish news these days, but I was surprised to learn today that we seemingly have a constitutional referendum in November on the "women in the home" issue.
All women should look at this with suspicion. This was the reason given for children's allowance to be paid into a mothers account. This in itself has a very long history. Up to the time of the Family Home Protection Act being passed a person (usually a man) could sell the home without the consent or knowledge of his spouse. All of these little things were hard fought for. As women had no income it had huge ramifications.

When the social history of Ireland pre 1973 is written there will be many open mouths reading it. Of course the treatment of the marriage ban on females will feature. But, when I think back in the days (and I'm a "straight" person) the male/female homosexuality issues were mind blowing. Some of the stuff they endured was appallingly dreadful (and I'm not blaming any church). If any people are entitled to sue the state for any issues pre 1973 it is the gay community.
True. David Norris was the person who fought hard for gay rights. The Incitement to Hatred Act was thanks to his hard work. It was a lot later than 1973.

That wasn't unique to Ireland. Have a look at the timeline in this link.

Back