Why does some milk in translucent plastic bottles taste horrible? -plastic milk taint

Re: Tesco milk or "brand name dairy" milk better quality?

Something I myself have noticed is that milk in plastic bottles goes off quicker than in cartons. Don't know the reasoning for this but it definitely does.

I used to think that too - but I now think that it is due to congealed bits of old slightly dried up milk in the 'thread' of the spout of plastic bottles.

Transfer milk that you think is 'on the turn' from a plastic bottle into something else and I think you'll often find that the smell you were getting was actually from the bottle!

I know a lot of the tetrapak milk have plastic spouts too but they don't seem to suffer from the same thing for some reason.

Whatever about the merits of cartons vs plastic containers, wait until the big Irish retailers start preferring to stock that UHT muck that's so widespread on the continent... :eek:

DrM,

My wife is German and every time we go to see the in laws in Germany, they use that "UHT muck". They know I like my ceral in the morning but are still confused to why I dont eat it in there house. Why do you think it is so widespread on the continent?

Jaid

Back