Why does rte.ie only broadast in Ireland?

paulpd

Maybe there's an obvious answer, but how come rte.ie only broadcast live games on the site within Ireland? Especially when so many people live abroad and would love to see a live Ireland / GAA game. I was stuck in Italy last Sat night so couldn't see the Cyprus game and this occured to me.

Licence Fee is only paid in here so they only make available to Irish Public.

Could be wrong. It's happened before.

I would assume that RTE would only have the rights to broadcast a particular game in Ireland, not the worldwide/European rights

very true - RTE/TV£ only have broadcast rights on the Island of Ireland only

You would need to route through an Irish Proxy to get access to watch the games.

They are only doing the same as other channels CBS/ BBC/ Channel 7. You just need a country proxy to get around it.

I was in Spain last month. I watched the RTE Six One Newsa few times and also Monday Night Soccer < [broken link removed] > from my laptop.

RTE owns the rights to the news, and MNS only shows League of Ireland, which RTE may have world-wide rights to broadcast ( I'm guessing but I dont think the Sky bid for them)

It is international games and Premiership games that RTe only have a license to broadcast in Ireland. No idea about the GAA

same for GAA - setanta had aquired the international rights but don't know what the status of that is now.

Back