why are daily limits on exchanges?

Z

z106

WHat is the logic behind having a maximum amount something can rise on an exchange.

E.g. According to Bloomberg, last friday corn rose the max 20 cents allowed on teh chicago exchange.

I assume there are maximums for different things.

WHat is the logic of having these maximums?

I never heard of share price rises (and falls?) being capped and don't believe that markets impose such limits. Well other than perhaps zero or near zero when a share may be delisted.

I never heard of share price rises (and falls?) being capped and don't believe that markets impose such limits. Well other than perhaps zero or near zero when a share may be delisted.

Well it certainly applies for corn.

See link below.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20602013&sid=a9kF3m2TQTOA&refer=commodity_futures

And i also emember seeing it for other things.
So - anyone know why such a restriction exists?
Obviously there must be some logic behind it.

Oh - commodities? Maybe they are different. I'm pretty certain that there are no such limits on share price fluctuation. Maybe some commodities are subject to government or other (e.g. GATT) price controls or something like that?

Any use?
1. Corn
Corn is used not only for human consumption, but to feed livestock such as cattle and pigs. Also, higher energy prices have made people look at using corn for ethanol production.

The corn contract is for 5,000 bushels, or roughly 127 metric tons. For example, when corn is trading at $2.50/bushel, the contract has a value of $12,500 (5,000 bushels x $2.50 = $12,500). A trader that is long $2.50 and sells at $2.60 will make a profit of $500 (2.60 – 2.50 = $0.10, $0.10 x 5000 = $500). Conversely, a trader who is long at $2.50 and sells at $2.40 will lose $500. In other words, every penny difference equals a move up or down of $50.

The pricing unit of corn is dollars and cents with the minimum tick size of $0.0025, (one-quarter of a cent), which equals $12.50 per contract. Although the market may not trade in smaller units, it most certainly can trade in full cents during "fast" markets.

The most active months for corn delivery are March, May, July, September and December.

Position limits are set by the exchange to ensure orderly markets. A position limit is the maximum number of contracts that a single participant can hold. Hedgers and speculators have different limits. Corn has a maximum daily price movement of $0.20, up or down.

Corn traditionally will have more volume than any other grain market. Also, corn will be less volatile than beans and wheat.

Back