Why are Buy to Let arrears so high?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
With pay cuts for most people, 15% unemployment, hugely reduced incomes for self-employed, and higher income taxes for everyone, it’s easy to understand why 10% of home loans are in arrears over 90 days.

But it’s much more difficult to understand why buy-to-let mortgages are in even higher arrears. The rental market is very good, even if it's 25% off its peak. It’s easy to get tenants who will pay good rents. Interest rates are very low. In the majority of cases the rental income should be sufficient to pay at least the interest on the loan.
So it’s very surprising that we have high arrears on buy to lets.

| buy to lets|home loans
Accounts in arrears over 90 days |18%|11%
Restructured and not in arrears|10%|6%
The rent should be covering the interest for at least 90% of buy to lets

Here is a typical example of a borrower who bought at the peak.

Mortgage|€330,000
Interest rate|1.6%
Annual interest|€5,300
Annual rent|9,600
Annual capital and interest repayments over 20 years @ 1.6%|€19,000
Annual interest at an SVR of 5.5%|€18,000
Annual capital and interest repayments over 20 years @5.5%|€27, 240
If they are on an interest-only tracker, they should not be in arrears. The rent would be sufficient to cover the interest, other costs and taxes.
He is in massive negative equity, but the investment itself is still profitable.
He will go into arrears
· If the bank switches him to interest and capital
· If he is on an SVR mortgage

Many buy to lets are on cheap trackers
Approximately 70% of the total buy-to-let book are on cheap trackers. I suspect that an even higher proportion of those who bought at the top of the market have cheap trackers.

Older mortgages were taken out on standard variable rates and the landlords probably never got around to switching mortgages. But they have paid off a good lump of the capital, so the ongoing interest charge is low.

Investors who bought in 2008 are more likely to be on standard variable rates and these would be in the most trouble now. They can’t service even the interest on their mortgages and they are in deep negative equity.

In some cases, landlords should be making up the shortfall from their other income
Even if the rent is not sufficient to cover the mortgage payment, the borrower should be making up the shortfall from their other income. Of course, most people don’t have spare income to make up the shortfall.

I have been surprised at the way people compartmentalise their investment properties. I have heard many people saying “the rent is not enough to pay the capital and interest, so the bank will have to reschedule”. These were people who had good salaries and I pointed out to them that they should be making up the shortfall from their other income. They were horrified at the suggestion.

Interest-only is fine for buy to lets
The majority argue that an interest-only loan on a person’s home is not sustainable as they may still have a mortgage when they retire. Whether you agree with this or not, it does not apply to buy-to-let properties. If a borrower can pay the interest, but only the interest, both the lender and borrower should be satisfied with this. Property is a long-term investment, and hopefully, in time, the person’s income will improve or property prices will rise.
A lender should not be happy to receive interest-only on a cheap tracker. However, in practice, most lenders seem to accept this temporarily.

15% of buy to lets have been rescheduled

This surprised me. I had thought that the reason for the high arrears was that the lenders were under no obligation to reschedule buy to let mortgages. The Mortgage Arrears Code, in effect, forces banks to reschedule home loans. But there is no MAC for buy to lets and the banks are still rescheduling them fairly easily.

Owners of buy to lets are much less worried about them that they are about their homes
Home owners try to keep up their mortgage so that they won’t lose their home. Buy to lets are a lot less worried.

Many investors have just given up the ghost
When an investor sees that the property which was supposed to make them lots of money has now halved in value, they just give up caring and stop making an effort to stay up to date.

It is the multiple landlords who are in the most severe arrears

has reported that amateur landlords have a similar level of arrears to owner occupiers, but the arrears profile of people with multiple properties is problematic.

If a professional landlord has no other income apart from the rent which they are receiving from their properties, they are probably diverting this rent to pay their living expenses. Against that, I would expect that professional landlords would have acquired their properties over a period of time and would have lower loans against properties which were acquired earlier in the cycle.
If a professional falls into arrears, are all his accounts classified as in arrears if they are cross-charged? If he spreads the rent around to pay something against every mortgage, does that mean that the performing ones are in arrears.?
The rent is not covering the interest
· The landlord can’t find a tenant
· The tenant is in arrears on their rent to the landlord
· The borrower has an expensive SVR loan

And the borrower is unable or unwilling to make up the difference from their other income. Most landlords seem to compartmentalise their investment properties. If the rent does not cover the repayments, they simply won’t touch their other income or assets to make up the shortfall.

Some borrowers are using the rent to pay their other expenses instead of paying their mortgage
In most cases, the rent will cover the interest and so, the lender should reschedule and the loan should not go into arrears.

However, people are struggling on all fronts, and it’s likely that some landlords are diverting the rent to pay their ordinary living expenses and maybe even their home loan repayments.

They allow the buy to let property to go into arrears and hope that they will be able to do a deal with the lender to repossess it and write off the shortfall.
In extreme cases, the lender will appoint a rent receiver. However, up to the end of September there were only 566 cases where a rent receiver had been appointed. It is not clear if each case represents one account or if a case might be a few properties.

Miscellaneous factors, although few in number, accumulate

• Unlettable properties in provincial towns and rural areas
  • Some properties have aged badly and are difficult to let. Landlord can't afford to renovate
  • Some complexes have deteriorated and are difficult to let
  • Ghost estates
  • Building defects such as pyrite and Priory Hall

So will the banks seek to repossess a lot of buy to lets?
I doubt it. While the arrears figure is very high, if the borrowers are paying the interest, then the lenders should be happy enough.

If the borrowers are withholding the rent, then the bank can appoint rent receivers. This seems more sensible than repossessing the property.

It would be in the interest of the lenders to repossess buy to lets with cheap trackers as they can lend the money out again at a higher interest rate. But as these loans are more likely to be performing, then the banks wil probably not repossess them.

A certain percentage of buy to let properties are in areas where supply outstrips demand such as some of the provincial towns. Many of these properties are not actively advertised for rent.
Some apartments are not owned by individuals, they are owned by companies whose main trading activities have failed and resulted in loan arrears. Is it only personal BTL customers included in those statistics?
According to Daft research the average rent is now 77% of the 2007 mean, add to that increased taxation and other costs, the gap that the owners need to subsidise has widened. Many people have fallen in to arrears with their management companies which has resulted in management companies more aggressively pursuing that debt. It is likely that in some cases the management companies is becoming more feared than the bank.

Some properties have aged badly and become difficult to let, the owners do not have the money to renovate, can not borrow and go further in to arrears. This is even more difficult in a multi unit development where an individual's ability to let is based on the actions of all the members in paying fees.

There are so many reasons for BTL mortgages to be in arrears that I am surprised the figure is not higher. Add to the above strategic default, diverting income, pyrite, ghost estates, amateur landlords and problem tenants.

Thanks ontour

The DAFT figure is very interesting. While there is good demand at the moment, it is at a lower level.

I have incorporated the other points as follows:

Miscellaneous factors, although few in number, accumulate

• Unlettable properties in provincial towns and rural areas
  • Some properties have aged badly and are difficult to let. Landlord can't afford to renovate
  • Some complexes have deteriorated and are difficult to let
  • Ghost estates
  • Building defects such as pyrite and Priory Hall

My own opinion is as follows:

People bought high in the wrong area, they over extended with little or no deposit. They have 40 year mortgage so no room to negotiate an extended term. They didn't realise the costs of being a landlord, were careless in their obligations re PRTB, household charge, management charges, tax returns until it's all spiralled out of control. The mixed up rental income with work income. They lost wages and dipped more and more into rental income. And now they've given up.

How many times on AAM have we seen people come on here and claim they never heard of the PRTB. In the last month there was a poster who claimed they didn't know about the household charge, there hasn't been a radio programme or newspaper that hasn't covered this at least weekly.

If someone looks in despair at a property that has more than halved in value and that they cannot cover well with the rent, which is causing them all sorts of problems with tenants, people are going to give up. A lot of people were looking to flip. That would be the stratetic defaulters.

You mentioned interest only being fine for buy to lets, something I've always disagreed with. A lot of problems in the buy to let are that people were given interest only for the first few years, thinking that would last forever, assuming that what the bank clerk told them was true that property would only go up. The plan was to sell after the mortgage term ended, pay off the mortgage and have a large lump sum. Easy peasy way to make money. Problem here is that the interst only was just about covered by the rent, not taking into account all the property related costs and the banks have said now we want capital too and if your mortgage goes up suddently by 1K a month, then for most people it doesn't make sense.

Specifically in relation to those people may feel they were misled by the banks, I think they probably were. And now they're saying it's payback time.

You mentioned interest only being fine for buy to lets, something I've always disagreed with. A lot of problems in the buy to let are that people were given interest only for the first few years, thinking that would last forever

A lot of mortgages were sold on an interest only period of 3-5 years,the investor was assured that this period would be extended as many times as the investor wanted,this assured amateur investors/Landlords who were concerned that they could never repay interest & cap and were only interested in holding the property till they could cash it in like lotto winners...they also massively borrowed on their PPR mortgage to achieve this.

Cut to 2007 and these periods were not extended as was assumed,I know because I was in that same boat,luckily though I only borrowed what I could repay on an interest and cap basis,so when the Bank refused extension it was not the end of the world.

Also do not underestimate the amt of investors/amateurs who are strategically defaulting,I know of one chap who owns 6 rentals,has not made a payment on them in God knows how long but is collecting a rent roll of approx 85k per annum still drives a Range Rover and holidays 3 times a year but pays no taxes etc ad nauseum.

You mentioned interest only being fine for buy to lets, something I've always disagreed with. A lot of problems in the buy to let are that people were given interest only for the first few years, thinking that would last forever, assuming that what the bank clerk told them was true that property would only go up.

Hi Bronte

A big cause of arrears is people who are coming off interest-only.

They can cover the interest comfortably but can't make the capital repayments. The banks don't like this. The borrowers don't like this. But in reality, the banks should just accept it if the borrower can't make the capital repayment.

I imagine that a big proportion of the arrears is arrears of capital.

All previous posters raise good points, especially the points about suddenly coming off interest -and especially about people who bought BTLs in "unrentable areas"

A quick look at Daft shows that there are thousands of empty properties to let ......
wx-700 wh-324 oy-138 ke- 460 lm-200 cw-212 mh-360 lh- 500 (can you believe little louth has over 500 properties to let !)

Even more surprising was county Dublin with 2.200 to let.

So, what's the total presently advertised on Daft to rent ? -over 10.000 properties -houses and apartments !!

Of course, this will include many who have no mortages, but it also excludes empty properties where the owner has given up trying to rent, or where the owner has rented at a really low price (far below the optimistic advertised figures in the ads)
It excludes many bank,NAMA properties where,amazingly there are still many hundreds(thousands?) of empty properties.

It's a pity we don't have the geographical distribution of BTLs in arrears but I'm convinced that a large percent are in areas where they will never rent at a level which covers even the interest.

As regards Dublin with 2.200 homes to rent: in city centre which includes D1 D2 much od D4 and D8 there are only 200 homes to let, most of them in either the grottier fringe areas of the centre, or at very high prices in ,say, Grand Canal Docks.
There are very few normal 2beds at the 9-1200 per month available. Lucky BTL buyers there,despite the fall in prices!

So, much of the BTL problem is about location,location,location.

And i don't think the banks are looking forward to repossessing thousands of properties which are just not rentable.

So, much of the BTL problem is about location,location,location.

Current counts of properties available to rent on Daft:
Waterford City - 600
Tralee - 198
Dundalk - 186
Wexford Town - 182
Portlaoise - 143
Mullingar - 112
Carlow Town - 103
Ballina - 78
Mallow - 78
Cavan Town - 76
Youghal - 68
Some of these are a natural cycle of rental churn but these number only reflect properties being actively advertised on Daft. Lots of other properties being advertised through other channels or not being advertised at all.

If you look at Waterford, decent looking houses renting @ fifty euro a week! My right wing tendancies are plotting how some prime property in Dublin can be freed up :eek:

On a connected note regarding good/poor BTL areas I see that in most newspapers Savills are quoted as stating that rental rates in some areas of Dublin may increase 7-10% in 2013.

Whether or not this prediction is true, it is based on the fact that there is a shortage of rentals in some areas -just as there is of properties for sale. And ,conversely, there is a plethora of both properties for sale and to let. (E.G. Ontour's finding that WDcity has 600 rentals on Daft alone)

I'm now more convinced that most of the BTLs in arrears are in those overstocked areas, and I wonder what I would do if I had a place that nobody wanted to rent and on which i owed more than it was now worth.

Back