Why am I always yawning?

Audrey

I have a reasonably healthy lifestyle. I eat well (but not too much, and I include plenty of veg and fruit). I drink a glass of wine a day (but no more). I am in bed by 11 (or sometimes) 10 each evening. I don't have children (or anything else that would wear me out). I walk to work and home each day (25 mins each way). I'm a 52 year old married woman. I work in an office. I am not over-worked. How come I'm always yawning as soon as I go out the door each day and start my walk to work? Would an iron supplement help?

Have you discussed this problem with your GP? AAM is not really the place for medical advice.

No I haven't. Didn't really want to make a trip just to discuss this matter alone. I'm not looking for medical advice per se - just wondering if anybody else experiences this. Not a big deal though.
ClubMan said:
Have you discussed this problem with your GP? AAM is not really the place for medical advice.

You should not need to take nutritional supplements if you are getting a balanced diet and are generally healthy. If you are feeling tired most of the time then you should consult your GP just to rule out any possible underlying physical/medical problem.

Are you yawning because you are feeling tired at the beginning of the day, does this tiredness persist all day? Or are you yawning even though you're feeling fine?

I'm yawning although I'm feeling fine. Not feeling tired enough that I want to lie down, or take a rest or anything.
polaris said:
Are you yawning because you are feeling tired at the beginning of the day, does this tiredness persist all day? Or are you yawning even though you're feeling fine?

I once heard that sometimes yawning is caused because a lack of oxygen, so maybe you should consider keeping the windows open for a while. Give it a go, it might help you.

I'm trying to cut down on the fags, and in particular to eliminate that dreadful (but oh-so-delightful) first smoke of the day — so I've taken to doing 5-10 mins of deep breathing, preferably outdoors. It makes a big difference to general mental alertness — I speak as someone who is distinctly not a 'morning person'!

That's pretty much it. A vague memory from my [broken link removed] days (I kid you not!) I subsequently went on to hone my skills at all those pre-natal 'labour management' classes — far more deadly. After just a few lessons, most of the mothers-to-be could overpower a far bigger man with a simple glance...;)

No, but seriously — we yawn because our brain and body aren't getting enough oxygen. Among all the other unhealthy habits associated with our sedentary lifestyle (well, mine anyway!), poor breathing is one of the most basic ones — along with not chewing our food properly.

DrMoriarty said:
Among all the other unhealthy habits associated with our sedentary lifestyle (well, mine anyway!), poor breathing is one of the most basic ones — along with not chewing our food properly.
Yeah - have to own up to both of those and all efforts to counter these bad habits have failed to date even though the solutions are free and trivial! :( I'll keep trying...

Cati76 said:
I once heard that sometimes yawning is caused because a lack of oxygen, so maybe you should consider keeping the windows open for a while. Give it a go, it might help you.

Up to a couple of weeks ago I was sleeping up to 9 hours & waking up tired & groggy. Then I started sleeping with the window open & am waking up quite perky after 8 hours. Not Mary Poppins perky, but perky for me ! This may have nothing to do with your yawning issue, just thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

Thanks for all advice. I will try the breathing exercises and open the window wider!

Back