Who to contact: Hotel Bar Register totals drink prices to almost double actual bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

shesells

Am enquiring on behalf of a colleague. She was in a hotel bar on Saturday night and purchased four drinks. They should have totalled €12.70 (two being baby mixers) but the receipt said €23.90! She was charged the higher price, then queried it and had the excess refunded.

The server wanted to keep the receipt but my colleague retained it so that she can report it. Is her first port of call the hotel manager? They may be involved? It wasn't a Dublin hotel so is it the Vintners Federation that would be next, or some sort of trading standards authority (what's the equivalent here?)

Thanks

Could it have been an honest mistake?

The server would want to keep the receipt to balance the till at the end of the night.

They may be involved? It wasn't a Dublin hotel so is it the Vintners Federation that would be next, or some sort of trading standards authority (what's the equivalent here?)

Um sounds like a serious overreaction by your colleague. Insinuating the hotel management is purposely overcharging customers based on one incident seems ridiculous to be honest.

The price was wrong, your colleague got excess refunded. Surely that should be that unless it repeatedly happened over the course of the night?

Sounds like a complete over reaction, surely if somebody was adding a bit on to the price of a round they wouldn't double it - they'd add a euro or two on. If I were a manager etc I would want a lot more evidence then just one mistake.

You're misunderstanding...the receipt reads something like

Drink 1 3.30
Drink 2 4.80
Drink 3 1.90
Drink 4 2.70

Total 23.90

This is a printed receipt from the register with the bar details on the top. The register is wrong, deliberately or otherwise. Whether it was a once off or something that went on all night, who knows.

Well in that case, surely an email or phone call to the manager to ask if they are aware that the till is not totaling up correctly and leave it at that. You are implying that there is a scam going on and I think that is the over reaction here, sounds like a faulty till and might explain why bar staff wanted to hold on to the receipt.

Oh makes a bit more sense when you show the receipt but I agree with ney001, simple email or call is all thats needed. Contacting VFI or trading standards seems very OTT in my opinion.

I also think your friend is blowing this out of proportion. She should have pointed it out straight away to the manager or even whoever took the payment. Asssuming that there is some scam going on there is not only a serious accusation but she has absolutely no proof of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back