who qualifies for rent allowance?

LB25

I have just signed on, having recently become unemployed. It is fine for the time being but I pay €310 euro a month rent and I won't be able to afford it this month. Who is entitled to rent allowance? I am a single person with no children. Does it depend on my landlord agreeing to it? I communicate with the landlord through my flatmate, who is the lease-signer, and all bills etc are arranged by him. However I know he is not keen on having someone in the house not working, can he just refuse to accept rent receipts should I be approved for rent allowance? Its all so embarrassing...I've lived in this house for nearly a year and I don't want to move.

Are you an official tenant or is your flatmate sub-letting to you? You would have to be named on the lease before you could make an application for Rent Supplement (as one of the legal requirements is to be "a bona-fide tenant" and you may not be considered same as a sub-let).

There is a maximum rent limit applied, if your rent exceeds that, you won't be entitled - the limits vary from county to county. The limits for a single person in shared accommodation range from 70 euro per week to 98 euro per week.

You can find a list of the rent limits [broken link removed] (page 23).

Your landlord may decide that s/he does not want to accept tenants on Rent Supplement - on the other hand, s/he has known you for a year, and knows you to be a good tenant so it may not be an issue. The landlord must sign the application form for Rent Supplement.

You can collect an application form and get further information from the CWO at your local health centre.

Back