WhiteFace at World Cup

Duke of Marmalade

One of the advantages of retirement is that you can watch 12 hours World Cup coverage 7/7.
A couple of days ago I watched Senegal playing. The director panned to the fans who were fronted by about a dozen Senegalese in fancy costume and with their faces painted white. As a white person I wasn't in the least offended.

Your 12 hours ration is dropping to 6... and then prepare for the horror that is Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th when there are... no games :(
The cold turkey will set in, and I don't mean leftovers.

Might be a good time to do the christmas shopping, especially for some reason I can't quite place, on the 8th.

And a great chance to get to the local for a few afternoon pints with like minded individuals- one can’t stress enough the importance of the Croatia Canada game while putting your coat on .

Carrying...

img-20221202-wa0000.jpg

Some mad results... Uruguay gone aswell.

From the BBC...

Here's how the last 16 is shaping up with one group left to be decided.

South Korea will face the winner of Group G, which would be Brazil as it stands:

• Netherlands v USA
  • Argentina v Australia
  • France v Poland
  • England v Senegal
  • Japan v Croatia
  • Group G winner v South Korea
  • Morocco v Spain
  • Portugal v Group G runner-up

Who would have thought that Belgium, Germany Uruguay would be going home and Canada, Australia, Japan and S Korea would still be there .......for now at least.
Some crazy results all right and perhaps more to come , who knows.

France 6 points, Portugal 6 points, Brazil 6 points. All lose their final games at what would generally be regarded as much inferior opposition. I think the odds were about 1,000-1 this treble, certainly greater than that before the tournament. We all know the reason, but it is a lesson for 2026.

France 6 points, Portugal 6 points, Brazil 6 points. All lose their final games at what would generally be regarded as much inferior opposition. I think the odds were about 1,000-1 this treble, certainly greater than that before the tournament. We all know the reason, but it is a lesson for 2026.
It won't happen in 2026, probably this is one of the reasons FIFA have switched to 3 team groups for next World Cup, to avoid those dead rubber final games. Though it means we lose out on the manic double header final group games.

It won't happen in 2026, probably this is one of the reasons FIFA have switched to 3 team groups for next World Cup, to avoid those dead rubber final games.
Well that could be fun. I understand 2 will go through from each group of 3. So imagine the last game in the 3 way group is between 2 teams who already beat the other team. They are both certain to go through. But they might also be certain that the winner meets Brazil in the next round whilst the loser meets Ireland. That would be an interesting match to bet on :)
I looked it up on Wiki. There is already a lot of criticism that 3-way groups could lead to situations of collusion such as the Disgrace of Gijon, for example if the first 2 games are goalless draws then a 1-1 draw sees both through. Though no mention of the above situation.
So much so that FIFA seems to be backtracking.

Last edited:
Well that could be fun. I understand 2 will go through from each group of 3. So imagine the last game in the 3 way group is between 2 teams who already beat the other team. They are both certain to go through. But they might also be certain that the winner meets Brazil in the next round whilst the loser meets Ireland. That would be an interesting match to bet on :)
I looked it up on Wiki. There is already a lot of criticism that 3-way groups could lead to situations of collusion such as the Disgrace of Gijon, for example if the first 2 games are goalless draws then a 1-1 draw sees both through. Though no mention of the above situation.
So much so that FIFA seems to be backtracking.
You should contact FIFA with those conundrums. You just might win a ticket to the next final .......Brazil v Ireland......bet you wouldn't say no ...

The first 4 knockout games go to the favourites. So far QF lineup is Argentina v Netherlands and France v England.

Would be nice to see a novel combination of teams in the final.

Back