Which would be better both cost and environment wise LPG or Oil

ColinC1965

Hi, I have just put an offer in on a house in Roscommon which presently only has a solid fuel stove and I will be looking to install either an Oil or Gas combi condensing boiler to heat the radiators and was wondering which would be the most cost efficient and environmentally friendly. There is no natural gas option available. I would go air to heat but the quotes I have seen are above my budget. Anyone got any advice?

LPG is cleaner. Not sure which is cheaper. Heat pumps might not work on an old house.

Heat pumps without a full survey and really great insulation is a no go, with all of them it's wonderful. Are you sure the boiler won't provide adequate heat and hot water before changing?

Assuming you are going to live there all year round for the foreseeable future, your first priority should be to ensure that the house is as well insulated as possible, then look at air tightness/draughts.

This will give you more options to install heating with lower financial install/running costs, and lower environmental impact.
It will also improve your BER & overall value of your house. If you have a mortgage, this may push you into a lower LTV bracket, which may entitle you to a lower interest rate.

Heat pumps without a full survey and really great insulation is a no go, with all of them it's wonderful. Are you sure the boiler won't provide adequate heat and hot water before changing?
Its a solid fuel fire range. I want to leave it in for emergencies but I want to be able to heat the house and/or water without building a fire

If your going with a traditional rads system id go with oil.
I have LPG coupled with underfloor heating. Gas boilers are supposed to be more efficient for underfloor than oil but cost wise im not sure.
Positives
Its cleaner burning and no smell of kerosene around the house.
Boiler is indoors, so less heat loss between the boiler and hotpress area.
Servicing seems easier and again almost no smell.
Gives you the option of gas appliances eg cooker, hob, fire

Negatives;
Its a gas system so you have to get an RGI plumber to install/work on gas. I was looking for a plug and play part for my boiler this year and most wholesalers would not even give me a price without an RGI number.
There are only 2 gas suppliers in Ireland: Calor or Flogas.
If you buy your own tank outright, you can choose between them for each fill.
However, the more common option is to rent the tank. But you're then tied to that supplier for a contract term, and until you change the tank!. The only upfront cost is you have to put in a concrete slab for the tank to be placed on. The supplier is responsible for the maintenance of tank, and insurance.

That said my neighbour has LPG too and would never go back oil, simply because its cleaner. Same person took out the solid fuel as he was sick of the bog and ash dust in the house.