Which should I prioritise - my mortgage with Pepper or an AIB personal loan?

ZedMcGlunk

Hi all.

I'm struggling to understand / get my head around this and would be grateful for others thoughts.

Background:

Mortgage originally with PTSB, and in a split mortgage due to historical (and indeed current repayment difficulty)
Mortgage was sold to Vulture fund managed by Pepper Finance.
Interest rates rising recently have jumped the mortage payment up 400 plus per month and we've found ourselves struggling / unable to make full repayment.
Other loans include car hp and personal loan with AIB with a payment of approx 400 per month. This will be finished in 13 months.
We've engaged with Peppers arrears support unit who proposed a temporary 12 month reduction in payment, But their credit committee have refused it so far. (Logic was that other loan would be finishing then and overall payments would be manageable then)

Basically the credit committee have said they want the mortgage payment prioritised at the expense of the AIB loan. The agent on the phone to me who communicated this back said multiple times that this actually made better financial sense in the long run because even though the interest rate on the AIB loan was higher, the capital balance on the mortgage was higher and therefore more interest would be accrued on mortgage and ultimately it would cost us more. Pepper are saying that the AIB loan should be defaulted on or rearranged / extended and seem adamant that this would be better for us. The agent also said that we would be financially better off paying the recent arrears on the mortgage rather than continuing to service the higher interest rate AIB loan.

This I can't fully understand in my head,

If the AIB loan is suddenly not being paid off in full or at all, that loans amount is sitting there accruing interest at a higher rate until such time as it is paid off or if AIB ultimately wrote it off or something. To be clear here this is something I don't want to happen. The loan would need repaying and that would be my intention. So surely any delay / extra interest accrued on arrears on the mortgage is lower than what would have been accrued on the AIB loan.

The only place that is confusing me is for example if the current arrears on the mortage were to stay in place for the remaining 20 years then yes the interest on that would ultimately be a big issue. But assuming we were able to catch up on those arrears in 12 months time (once the AIB loan was finished) then that to me is the more financially viable solution.

I am confused as to what would happen if the mortgage was restructured to have less payments for 12 months and then have those 12 months shortfall added into the remaining 19 years. In that situation would the interest paid on the principle shortfall dwarf the interest "savings" by not allowing the AIB loan to go into arrears at a higher interest rate level.

In fact as I write this now, I am starting to wonder if actually the simple sums add up to the fact we would be better off being in mortgage arrears for a couple of years rather than agreeing to a full restructure which would cost more in the long run (or have a restructure that allowed for capital payment to catch back up)

Other than the impact on credit rating which is already in the toilet have I misunderstood or missed something?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you have

What is the interest rate on your mortgage?
What is the interest rate on your AIB loan
Other loans include car hp and personal loan with AIB with a payment of approx 400 per month.

What is the balance on this loan?

You are correct. Pepper is misleading you.

Assuming the interest rate is higher on the AIB loan, you save more by paying it off first.

Brendan

I think you should write to Pepper the following letter

The only reason I am in arrears with my mortgage with you is because you have increased the rate well beyond the market rate. The repayments on my AIB loan have not increased. Had my mortgage been still with ptsb , I would be paying about 4% and I would be able to meet the full repayments on both the mortgage and the AIB loan.

It would be wrong of me to default on an unsecured loan from AIB as a result of your behaviour and I am surprised that you suggested this.

When I clear the AIB loan I will apply the savings to reduce the arrears on my mortgage with you.

Brendan

Pepper may very well threaten to commence repossession proceedings but they are unlikely to actually commence them.
If they do, they will not succeed.

But in case it goes to court in a few years, you should have a full documentary history of how you engaged with them.

The above letter would be part of this.

The court will not be impressed that Pepper tried to get you to default on loans to another lender.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Much appreciate all those responses.

The mortgage with Pepper is a tracker so I think it's at 4.65% at the moment. Obviously I can't use the you raised beyond market value line to them as have raised as agreed but absolutely will be putting it in writing the concerns about their agents suggestions.

AIB is my wifes loan but I believe it's around 7/8% and has a little over 5k of a balance. It's definitely well ahead of the mortgage at the moment.

We have engaged at all times with Pepper since they took it over and would be absolutely comfortable in going to court if needed with all the documents and notes made. It's not the first time they've made comments or suggestions that could be labelled as a mistake or misleading. And given all these calls are recorded for quality and training purposes ;) then they will have a record of it should they wish to dispute it.

Prior to sending the letter, it may be worth while asking them for transcript of the call. At the very least, record date and time of the call. Your post here is a good memo on your recollection of it.

It definitely makes no financial sense to you to prioritise the lower %. That's poor advice from Pepper, and clearly shows them putting their short term interests ahead of your long term financial health.

Best of luck.

And given all these calls are recorded for quality and training purposes ;) then they will have a record of it should they wish to dispute it.

Let's be absolutely clear - such records get lost. You can't remember the date so they can't find it.

Follow up every interaction with an email or letter summarising the discussion and what they told you.

Brendan

Obviously I can't use the you raised beyond market value line to them as have raised as agreed

OK, you could try saying that had the mortgage remained with ptsb, you could have fixed at 3% before the rates started rising.

I think it's worth highlighting that Pepper treats their customers differently from ptsb and that you have fewer options.

Again, a court would find that interesting.

Brendan

The mortgage with Pepper is a tracker so I think it's at 4.65%

AIB is my wifes loan but I believe it's around 7/8% and has a little over 5k of a balance

OK, so the difference in rates is not huge. But check the exact interest rate first in case it's 18%.

If you stopped paying the AIB loan completely and started paying Pepper instead, the annual cost would be €5,000 @ 3% or €150 a year.

So I suggest that you write to AIB and tell them that you are struggling with all your loans. Ask them could they 1) Reduce the interest rate and/or 2) extend the term to two years.

If they agree, it will cost you very little. If they refuse, you can show the letter to Pepper and tell them that you tried.

Brendan

Back