Which is the best bank to open savings account?

S

shelley1980

Hi There!

Myself and my boyfriend are planning on applying for a mortgage in 2008 and therefore want to start a savings account in the new year.

I would basically like to know which bank offers the best deal, i.e. high interest rates, no extra chanrges etc. I was thinking Permanent TSB but not 100% sure?

Can anyone advise? Or tell me where to go to get advise?

Thanks!
Shelley

I would basically like to know which bank offers the best deal, i.e. high interest rates, no extra chanrges etc.
Northern Rock are offering the highest rate on deposit accounts at the moment.

If you were planning on saving for a year combine this with one or a combination of the regular saving accounts available to maximise return. Lots of discussion of both deposit and regular savings accounts on AAM.

Assuming yourself and boyfriend would be putting away a certain amount each week/month a 'regular saver account' would be for you. The best at the moment is AIB regular account at 6.60% where you can put away a maximum of €300 per month (€600 per month if both of you open accounts). There are no restrictions on withdrawals, unlike other banks. There are certain restrictions i.e. you must have an AIB current or cashsave account but no great hassle there - I found the staff very helpful. PTSB would not be as competitive - currently their regular saver account is 4.75%.

Back