Which International Bank is the best?

LegalNerd29

I am currently looking into setting up an international bank account. At the moment I am currently comparing N26 and Revolut. I have a few question that I would like some clarity on.

First, what rate is the best option when converting the converted rate, i.e. Pound Sterling, back to Euros - N26's MasterCard rate or Revolut's Inter-bank rate (during the weekdays)? I recently read a comment, which was left on a a comparison site's social media account, where the individual wanted to see how much he would save should he convert the equivalent of £3,000 back into Euros. He discovered that he only saved €7.50 when opting for the N26/MasterCard options, whereas he would have saved a further €98.50, i.e. €106 in total, if he had opted for the Revolut/Inter-bank rate. While I would benefit some clarity regarding this, does it stand true that the Inter-bank rate offers the better return?

Secondly, are the foreign cash withdrawal charges applicable to eurozone countries too, i.e. the 1.7% charge on N26 withdrawals and the 2% charge on Revolut withdrawals (after the "free-cap" of €200)?

Thirdly, are they any fees incurred when using the contactless payment option for either Revolut or N26 in a non-eurozone country, or even outside Ireland for that matter?
Fourthly, do Revolut charge for replacement cards? N26 charges €10 for a replacement card. However, I am unsure if that encompasses a new card being issued upon the expiry of the current card.

Finally, are they any other international banks that you are aware of who are just as competitive, if not more?

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Revolut is not a bank.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I would have thought that the term "bank" would have been a generic term encompassing these, if I may call, financial IT-focused companies. It's good to learn something new everyday.

I would have thought that the term "bank" would have been a generic term encompassing these, if I may call, financial IT-focused companies
Nope, 'FinTech' is the word that encompass, well, financial technology companies.

Bank is a regulated term.

I recently read a comment, which was left on a a comparison site's social media account, where the individual wanted to see how much he would save should he convert the equivalent of £3,000 back into Euros. He discovered that he only saved €7.50 when opting for the N26/MasterCard options, whereas he would have saved a further €98.50, i.e. €106 in total,
Back to your question, this makes no sense.
The spread is pretty tight on common currency pairs such as GBP/EUR.
There's no way the spread is anywhere close to 3% as suggested.

Do you have a link to the website you read it on?

Back to your question, this makes no sense.
The spread is pretty tight on common currency pairs such as GBP/EUR.
There's no way the spread is anywhere close to 3% as suggested.

Do you have a link to the website you read it on?

I was thinking the very same. You can find the comments from Anthony Flynn from 16 weeks ago. They are located below the article.

It's a bit strange, I can't see where the additional 3% spread is coming from. I wouldn't read too much into Facebook comments.

Back