Which Gernam and French Banks are Exposed to an Irish Default?

galleryman

Just wondering, before I deposit cash in Germany or France, which of their bank are the ones that lent so much to the Irish banks?

If/when Ireland does default on senior debt, which German and French banks are going to have the billions in losses and possibly themselves require "assiatance"?

anyone?

I'm interested in depositing in France and also possibly in Germany but want to avoid banks with an exposure to a possible future default by Ireland

If your French/German bank is hit by Irish default - is your deposit in these banks safe under French/german Govt deposit guarantees.

I would say all the biggest ones. Problem is even if they are not they will likey be effected by those banks who are. This is the problem and why the rescue was forced upon Ireland. It's a credit pyramid of sorts.
I would think the UK banks really have their tail in the wind with their exposure to Ireland. Hence all the good neighbour nonsense coming from the brits. They are terrified of the mess here!
Cronly I believe the French gov guarantee is 70K (open to correction) and you would be covered if your money is there.

Ask David Norris, I do believe he has a list of the bondholders and from that one can deduce which banks are involved. Probably the whole lot of them.

Back