Which Credit Card is best

D

dennydono

Hi There,

I am with MBNA but I see that NIB have a much smaller APR and their card also comes with Travel Ins. Can anyone advise how do I dump MBNA and change over. Thanks in anticp.

Hi There,

Can anyone advise how do I dump MBNA and change over. Thanks in anticp.

Nib's Website says you can apply on line, or call into any branch.

It’s worth noting the travel insurance does not come with the standard card, but only with the platinum and gold cards which both have much higher minimum and maximum limits so presumably they also have much higher eligibility criteria to qualify.

http://www.nationalirishbank.ie/en-ie/Personal/Day-to-day/cards/products/Pages/Compare-cards.aspx

NIB's Mastercards also come tied to their current account. So you have to have a current account there to get a Mastercard.

Their only standalone card is a Visa, and the APR (17.4%) isn't all that competitive.

NIB Platinum or Gold cards are part of an account package. You get benefits like transaction free banking, travel insurance and VIP at airports on Platinum.

Gold comes with Easy Plus and it has an annual cost of 75.00 and is charged at 18.75 quarterly.

This cost may offset your APR saving.

Look at AIB Platinum, 0.05% cashback on purchases when you spend over 5k

That'd be 0.5% (i.e. €50 cashback for every €10,000 spent, after the first €5K). I got one when BoI cancelled their Amex Blue card at short notice.

When you say "€50 cashback for every €10,000 spent, after the first €5K", does that mean you have to spend €10K or €15K (i.e. €10K above the first €5K) to get €50?
I use Ulster bank where you get .59% back in vouchers for Argos, Debenhams or House of Fraser along with a few others.

Yes, it's €50 cashback for every €10,000 spent, i.e. 0.5%, but it only kicks in once you get over the first €5K.

The Amex Blue card was 1% from day one.

I have an MBNA card but it is the Pigsback version which means I get points each month based on my card usage on the Pigsback website which I can then redeem as vouchers, books or CD over there. I like it as I have gotten a good bit back off it.

Back