Which Computer language to learn first?

learning programming

If for example I wanted to write a program like a registry cleaner or a temp file cleaner what would be the language of choice there?

Ah I see. You just want to clean a poorly performing windows home PC!! :)

Would you consider downloading Ubuntu Linux as a dual boot operating system? You could set up a small partition to see whether it works better than Windows, but still be able to boot up your Windows if you wanted. Linux is fast, highly secure, free, has thousands of resources, and has MS Office equivalents. It would enable you to learn an operating system, linux, and any number of useful resources such as PHP which is a web scripting language, MySQL, a database, Apache a web server, as well as HTTP and Javascript etc. Look up LAMP development.

Ah I see. You just want to clean a poorly performing windows home PC!! :)

Not exactly...Im aware of the numerous reg cleaners and washers out there and how aggressive some can be over others. It's more an interest in being able to develop a program that would be capable of those tasks. I know enough about running a computer to be able to maintain it.

I have a few partitions set up already and had considered running Linux on one of them alright. Just downloaded http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...-basic-express.

As I've said before with so many different answers and tips and also me not knowing enough about the subject of programming its hard to know where to start from.

Now on a different matter....how do I delete a post? :)

The above was done twice as initially I hadn't quoted properly...Im still new to AAM..

pc cleaning

Hi,

The orginal point was that to comment I would need to know what your motivation was for learning programming.

The examples given were of automating windows admin tasks to improve the performance of the PC, so I hope I didn't come across as too flippant.

My windows XP machine started taking about 10 minutes to boot three years ago. I had no install disks to re-install, so I was stuck with numerous awful reg cleaners etc.

That's why the Indian PC phone scam is so successful. Lots of fed up people with poorly performing windows machines.

Fast forward, two years and the same 6 year old PC is whizzing along with Ubuntu Linux. I have numerous heavy applications installed on a 1MB machine, including some where the documentation states it isn't possible. I don't have any virus worries and it is all completely free.

To me it's a no-brainer.

Fast forward, two years and the same 6 year old PC is whizzing along with Ubuntu Linux. I have numerous heavy applications installed on a 1MB machine, including some where the documentation states it isn't possible. I don't have any virus worries and it is all completely free.

To me it's a no-brainer.

Not wishing to hijack this thread but Gearoid am I to understand that you have a PC with an OS of "Ubuntu Linux"? If so what runs on this platform?
Is it a stand alone OS or does it depend on a duel platform?

Reg cleaners are a bad idea. Even more so as a first programming project.

Personally I've never had problems with Windows even on very old machines. Or with Viruses. Bit of a storm in a teacup IMO.

Just buy a book with some projects and work through them. Its probably useful to do something like Java then something else to see how they differ.

I think the OP was just giving "reg cleaners" et al as an example of what he/she may gain if they were to get into programming and not as an end to a means as such.

If that makes sense??

Personally I've never had problems with Windows even on very old machines. Or with Viruses. Bit of a storm in a teacup IMO.

Just buy a book with some projects and work through them. Its probably useful to do something like Java then something else to see how they differ.

Yes as sparkrite said developing a reg cleaner was just an example purely to find out what language would be best to learn if it WAS something like that I wanted to write.

So far I'm trying to get to grips with VB.net and cannot see myself programming a reg cleaner anytime soon anyway...

Last edited:
Back