Which car??

Squidward

I am thinking of trading in my very reliable 99 Civic and purchasing one of the following;

2001 BMW 320D
2003 VOLVO S40
2002 AUDI A4
2004 FORD MONDEO

Just wondering what people thought of the above cars, whether you have one or know of someone who has one. Maybe you could shed some light on which one is most/least reliable.

Cheers.

In case it's of any use a colleague of mine is selling his BMW323i on boards.ie for a knock down price. Don't be put off by the latest posts to the thread. This is 100% kosher and he's very eager to get rid of it if only to free up the parking spot outside his house!

My husband has had an audi A6 for five years and it has given him nothing but trouble from day 1. He bought it at zero kilometres and he has been the only person to drive it.
It seems that some audis are produced in China and according to the Chinese there is a big difference between those produced in China and those produced in Europe.
Two weeks agothe front transmission axel (hope I'm explaining myself properly) literally fell off while driving - fortunately we were going slowly.
He is now thinking of a BMW X5 - any opinions?

top pick would be the mondeo.my reasons are i have driven one(my brothers) and are a great car.spacious reliable and well equiped.fords nowadays are the very very best.

audi-i had an A4 which was a 95 model and the steering rods/arms had to be replaced every 6months at 80e excluding labour to replace and there are 6 in total.when they start to go they make horrible squeeking noises that can be heard from miles away.low milage are great but if its high milage stay away and the same set-up is the same with the passats.exact same-different badge.

ClubMan said:
In case it's of any use a colleague of mine is selling his BMW323i on boards.ie for a knock down price. Don't be put off by the latest posts to the thread. This is 100% kosher and he's very eager to get rid of it if only to free up the parking spot outside his house!

Clubman, that was the funniest piece I have read in ages. Magpie wound him up nicely. Maybe I just have a warped sense of humour

Murt

The 04 Ford, especially if it's a diesel.

Cars have built in obselescence, and you should always buy as new and as low mileage as you can.

Clubman

E14,000 is a lot of money in anybodies money no matter how good the bargain seems. Most people spending that sort of money want to buy from a garage where they have a comeback in case something goes wrong. Also the garage will take a trade-in. Having seen the Primetime programme a couple of weeks ago I wonder myselfabout buyingfrom garages.

I believe that your friend's car is genuine. I suggest that he offers to pay for 1/2 the cost of an AA inspection. If there is anything dodgy about the car (and I don't believe these is) the AA will spot it and report on it. They will also confirm that the mileage etc. is genuine, as wellas pointing out anything that is wrong or likely to go wrong.

He has little to lose and the prospective purchaser is sure of what he is getting. Anyone selling something that is not completely above board is not going to invite and pay towards an independent inspection.

Murt

I just posted the link in case anybody was interested. I have no idea what motivates people to spend such amounts of money on cars nor do I have any vested interest in my colleague selling his car. Nor do I really care on either count to be honest. I will pass on the suggestion about the AA check though. Thanks. How much is that likely to cost?

Here's a link to the AA site. They don't mention a price just "For a small fee we will make sure you don’t pay the price at the end of the day." Everything, I suppose, is relative to the purchase price.

[broken link removed]

Incidentally, I used the AA about 15 yrs ago and the fee then was about 130. They gave the car a relatively clean bill of health and any faults they found, the garage fixed (the fixing cost more than the inspection). The garage was surprised when I said I wanted the AA to check out the car, as they said that they would stand over any anything that went wrong, (during the guarantee period anyway) but being the awkward ba%^&& that I am, I insisted on the AA check. Anyway, as your mate is already selling the car at an exellent price, minor repairs would be up to the purchaser.

Prior to buying that car, I went into a main dealer on the SCR who had a VW Golf that he said had just come in and was for sale. The car was fillthy - no problem. It had UK plates- no problem. Genuine mileage and had never been crashed we were assured by the salesman. Again I said that I wanted an AA report. He said that it wasn't necessary as they were a major franchised dealer (not a VW dealer) and would sort out any problems that arose and that he didn't forsee any. He encouraged us to take the car for a test drive which we did. We liked the car. We started to haggle and more or less agreed on a price. I said then said that I was adamant that I wouldn't part with 5-6000 (a lot of money then) without an AA check. Again, I was told it wasn't necessary but I insisted that it was. The salesman went off with himself and came back 10 minutes later and said that the car was sold. I have no doubt whatsoever that there was something dodgy with that car. It must have been had either been crashed or clocked or both or had some major defect in the offing that wouldn't have shown up for a couple of months.

Murt

Squidward said:
I am thinking of trading in my very reliable 99 Civic and purchasing one of the following;

2001 BMW 320D
2003 VOLVO S40
2002 AUDI A4
2004 FORD MONDEO

Just wondering what people thought of the above cars, whether you have one or know of someone who has one. Maybe you could shed some light on which one is most/least reliable.

Cheers.

Old model Volvo S40 is awful according to my brother who bought one last year. He's trying to get rid of his.

Audi & BMW are going to be class...let's face it. You may hear the odd scare story but they're class cars. I'd go with the beamer myself.

Mondeo is a great car but not in the same class as the above two. Go for the TDCI if you can.

Murt10 said:
Clubman, that was the funniest piece I have read in ages. Magpie wound him up nicely. Maybe I just have a warped sense of humour
He tells me that the boards.ie moderators have unilaterally (i.e. not on his prompting) taken Magpie to task quite severely since. He tells me that he finds the boards.ie moderators very much on the ball in keeping discussion on topic and dealing with wasters. No doubt they get the same abuse from a minority of contributors as the AAM moderators get from the usual suspects around here.

Back