where to store a will?

joeclogs

I was thinking of doing a diy will.I've read about what is required in a will but no so sure about where to store it. If I put it in a filing cabinet how can I be sure it will be found. Whatis the normal procedure in these matters?

Your bank may do a storage service for documents of that nature.
Just let a couple of people (beneficiaries) know where it is. They'll hunt it down, unless they'd be entitled to more under intestacy ;)

Can I give copies of the will to the executors and would that suffice or would the original still need to be found?

Do a number of copies, all signed and witnessed. If one turns up, that would suffice. The courts would be practical as to which is the original and which is the copy if all are identical.

Banks do not store papers for customers any longer. A Solicitor is the best option.

I doubt if any solicitor would agree to store a DIY will to avoid any liability being attributed to them in the event the will is invalid.

Why don't you want to go to a solicitor to have them do your will for you?

OP - i had a will drawn up recently by a solicitor and the cost was under a 100 Euro. They are holding onto to one of the copies and I have given other copies to the executors.

leave it with your solicitor. Charges in most offices for wills are reasonable. Home made wills are sometimes a disaster, leading to litigation.

Good idea to talk to your chosen executor to ensure s/he is willing to act, and to tell him/her where the will is.

Re J26 suggestion of a testator signing a number of identical wills - would not recommend it.

"Do a number of copies, all signed and witnessed. If one turns up, that would suffice. The courts would be practical as to which is the original and which is the copy if all are identical."

Do not under any circumstances do this. It could lead to an awful mess. By all means make photocopies of one signed original. But there should only be one signed original.

Back