Where to safely deposit redundancy payment?

does anybody know if there is any truth in the rumour that if IMF come into Ireland they may devalue savings?

Nope nobody knows.

I suspect that that you are asking the wrong question. An alternative question would be, "if the IMF come into Ireland will they provide money for the banks to honour their deposits".

Nobody knows the answer to that either. But it is a very different question

Are there any restrictions on driving up to Newry and opening an account in a UK bank?

Is it possible to have a Us Dollar or Australian Dollar account with any of the banks in Ireland?

CiaranT.
If you have the time...In relation to the Danish Guarantee can you have a look at the link on the NIB website which details the Danish guarantee and tell me what you think. I am not allowed to post the link. Apologies.

Sorry for any confusion on the Danish protection. I have re-read the website and it appears that the Danish authorities will protect the first 100,000 EUR also.

Can someone please confirm that this is their understanding as well ?

(Bloody Google Translator !!)

Sorry for any confusion on the Danish protection. I have re-read the website and it appears that the Danish authorities will protect the first 100,000 EUR also.

Can someone please confirm that this is their understanding as well ?

(Bloody Google Translator !!)

National Irish Bank customers are covered up to a
maximum of €100,000 on a net basis under the
Danish Guarantee Fund for Depositors & Investors
with any balance (up to a maximum of €100,000 on
a gross basis) covered under the Irish Deposit
Guarantee Scheme.
Gross basis: The deposit account balance is not
netted against the depositor’s liabilities to the credit
institution with which that account is held.

[broken link removed]

Oh, and now I've just found a PDF file on NIB's website that says something a little different!
ARRGH!

wwwXnationalirishbankXie/PDF/Deposit-Protection.pdf

Page 6. Danish scheme covers up to 100,000 NET, the remainder up to 100,000 gross by the irish scheme. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand that 100%....

From my reading of the situation, it appears as if the Danish scheme is limited to 100,000 Danish Kroner (just over €13,000). The remainder is guaranteed by Cowen, Lenihan, Gormley & Co. in Dublin.

Of course, I do stand to be corrected or have my pockets picked - as the case may be!

From my reading of the situation, it appears as if the Danish scheme is limited to 100,000 Danish Kroner (just over €13,000)

Of course, I do stand to be corrected or have my pockets picked - as the case may be!
Incorrect, Eliza has the link and the figure is 100,000 euro net by Danish Scheme, not 100k Danske Kroner

Is it possible to have a Us Dollar or Australian Dollar account with any of the banks in Ireland?

i know you can have a dollar ( american ) account with permanent tsb , you cannot open an australian dollar account with any of the irish banks

hsbc offshore are an option

Back