Where to exchange eurocoins for notes?

pudzer

Hi there!

I started collecting coins a few months ago to save up to buy a camera that I wanted. I now have enough coins collected but don't know where to go to exchange them for euro notes. Apparently the banks don't exchange any more without a charge - would kill me to give them a few pence to do that!!

My sister thought she heard something on the radio about new machines taht would exchange coins for you. She thought they were to be located around the country. ANyone know about them? Strangely, I wouldn't mind paying paying these machines a couple of euro to exchange my money (but the banks take enough ofmine as it is!!).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Check with the manager in your local Spar or Centra. He is probably paying the banks to get change from them, so he might be happy to get yours at face value.

Our local Supervalue have one of these machines - charge a whopping 9.5% though to change your money.

spar in stillorgan beside millhouse pub has one of theese machines its great i use it all the time yes it charges 9.5% or something but its worth it great way to save for something and kinda fun to use...

Seems terrible value to me too. Imagine going into a shop with €100 in coins and coming out with €90.50 (mostly in notes) and feeling like you had somehow got a good deal or satisfaction in some way.

z

The central bank is obliged to change any amount free of charge as far as I know. Phone them or check their home page. Every bank where you have an account must accept a lodgment into this account in legal tender (€s). Otherwise they would not be allowed to operate in the EU.

Why not just pay for the camera with the coins?

If they were all 1 or 2 euro coins, then I'm sure the retailer wouldn't mind.

I you bag the change and simply lodge it to your account then there should be no fee (if you avail of free banking )...

Go to Tesco and do your weekly/monthly shop. Scan your shopping in at the self service till when you are finished and pay for your messages by putting as much change as you have, in whatever demonition you want, into the slot and away you go.

No commission. No embarrassment. No dirty looks. Just you and a machine.

Murt

I save all change I get for my annual holidays usually in excess of €2000. I bring it all to the AIB in one go and get it changed every year into notes – no hassle, no questions no problems. I have an account with AIB and would lodge the change if necessary but have never been asked to do so. I have never been charged for this service and would not be willing to pay (always threaten to close all accounts with them) but I always have change bagged properly in the correct bags etc.

BB

pudzer said:
Apparently the banks don't exchange any more without a charge - would kill me to give them a few pence to do that!!
My bank (PTSB) has never charged me for lodging bagged coins to my account over the past 10 years or so.

Breffni Boy2 said:
I save all change I get for my annual holidays usually in excess of €2000. I bring it all to the AIB in one go and get it changed every year into notes – no hassle, no questions no problems. I have an account with AIB and would lodge the change if necessary but have never been asked to do so. I have never been charged for this service and would not be willing to pay (always threaten to close all accounts with them) but I always have change bagged properly in the correct bags etc.

BB

so it is true what they say about [broken link removed] then :D

Back