Where to convert a lap belt to a diagonal belt

maura

Just wondering if anyone knows a place where you can get a lap belt converted into a diagonal belt, or just a plain old diagonal belt installed in middle seat in the rear of car. Many thanks

Could depend on the make and model of your car - Did you ring places such as Advanced Pitstop & your local dealer?

Mo3art, to be honest I haven't tried anywhere, I did not know who to approach, any other suggestions welcome.

Don't think its actually possible and/or legal to do this. The car more than likely doesn't have the third anchor point for a third 3 point belt. Can't see any reputable garage doing this work either for fear of being sued.

However I do know that some model cars are supplied with a third 3 point belt to European markets and a lap belt to middle eastern markets, so maybe these have the anchor point but not the belt. Is the car an import?

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this anyway?

I wanted to be able to fit a couple of booster seats and a baby seat in back row of car and each booster seat requires a diagonal belt to fit. Newer models of my opel have a diagonal belt in the middle but mine is an older model with only a lap belt in the middle.

If its an older model car then the necessary third anchor point probably isn't there. If it isn't then I'm afraid there is no way to safely or legally fit a 3 point belt. Please don't be tempted to get a "helpful" garage to just make one fit by welding a third point on, it won't do its job if you have an accident. I'm sure you wouldn't even consider this especially as its for child seat.

Transporting children around can be a major hidden expense of having them. I've only recently had to buy a bigger car due to the impending arrival of a new addition. Didn't want to do it as the previous one was old but working perfectly, just too small for 2 children, buggy, travel cots etc. With 3 I'm sure its even worse!

Ok I'll have to admit defeat on this one. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice anyway.

Back