Where to buy old version of Visio ?

A

ajapale

I bought my visio form micromail in cork several years ago. They are very helpfull and may be able to advise on where older versions of the software might be availiable. I spoke to Willie or Margret there and found them good.

A word of warning: I find the older versions of visio a bit "rough" around the edges in terms of functionality and integration with the wider office products. Also if you goint to use 3rd party templates you are better off with the most recent versions. I use visio standard 2002 and need to upgrade soon.

What do you intend to do with visio? Be sure you that this is what you want and not a basic CAD drawing package.

ajapale

A google search for visio alternatives come up with the following list:
[broken link removed]

See here for a good (if rather technical) review of visio 2002 from cadence magazine:
[broken link removed]

I have to buy a copy of Visio ( I think standard edition will do - it has to be able to cope with third party templates )

Am not using Win 2K or XP. My understanding of Visio 2003 is that it requires one of these to run.

Dont want to change from present Win NT

Am I correct in thinking that I have to find a copy of either Visio 2000 or 2002 ?

If so, anyone know where I might find a source ?

I dont know the first thing about Visio so all help & suggestions are appreciated.

PH

Visio - why pick it ?

Thank you both for responding. You both question why pick Visio and quite right too.

It is not my choice. I have to document the layout of some equipment for a multinational & they 'request' ( i.e. demand ) that this is supplied to them in Visio readable form. It is they who have provided the third part templates.

( I believe that they also use NT 4 as a standard on their workstations so presume that they are using either V 2000 or V 2002 )

Visio - why pick it ?

> You both question why pick Visio and quite right too.

I didn't question the choice of Visio. I just suggested OpenOffice Draw in case you couldn't get the legacy version of Visio that you might require. This is a real pain with certain software packages/OSs, in particular Microsoft's - where legacy versions of many packages don't necessarily run on newer versions of the OS forcing one to upgrade and incur the concomitant costs and hassles.

Re: Visio - why pick it ?

You both question why pick Visio and quite right too.

I quite like visio and have been using it since the days they were an independent company. (I'm nearly sure they also had a small office in Dublin).

I use it for organisational charts, process flow charts and quality procedures.

One of the problems is that you need visio to read/edit the visio charts. You can however down load a free visio reader. You can convert your visio drawings to pdf format using free pdf maker software.

Hope this helps,
ajapale

Back