Where to arrange scrapping of car?

Up Rovers

We want to scrap a car that is not roadworthy and are just wondering if anyone can give us some advice about doing this.

We don't want any unsavoury individuals coming in and around our house so want to proceed with caution. We have seen the many signs at traffic lights about getting paid for scrapping but have also heard some horror stories about cars appearing on the road again so don't want to be caught out in this manner. Some of the parts may be useful but we ask ourselves is it worth the bother to get a few bob and pay a price at a later stage.

We've checked on the internet and come across these two companies and are wondering if anyone has ever used either of them [broken link removed] or http://www.scrapmycar.ie or if there any better ones to use.

Thanks.

So long as you get a certificate of destruction you should be OK.

my husband once went on the scrappage scheme for a brand new car...few weeks later he spots the old carvan out on the road continuously..

So long as you get a certificate of destruction you should be OK.

Therein lies the rub!

I scrapped my car with a crowd in North Dublin whose website said they did End of Life processing for cars.
Three months later I still have no cert of destruction, and have being getting ever more strident letters from Shannon re expired tax.

I re-read the website..... they are in the PROCESS of seeking the licence

The moral of the story is only use a licensed operator eg for fingalcoco
[broken link removed]

Rule No. 1, avoid anyone who advertises with stickers on road signs/ traffic lights, and anyone who operates using just a mobile phone number.

Dublin City Council have a guide here, which includes a list of licenced companies in Dublin.

my husband once went on the scrappage scheme for a brand new car...few weeks later he spots the old carvan out on the road continuously..

I once bought a car which, it turned out, had been scrapped. I was young and foolish then (but I'm not now full of woe!).

Your Local Authority will have a list of reputable registered companies who will scrap the car for you. Depending on the value of the parts you may or may not get paid something for them.

As said above, make sure you get a Certificate of Destruction.