Where do small businesses advertise for staff?

You could try advertising in your local newspaper, with a poster in the business itself and also contact FAS and ask them if they can help to advertise the vacancy.

My firm (a 4-year old tech SME) has hired fifteen people in the last 6 months. Virtually all positions have been filled by applications from people who saw our ads on fas.ie
All our roles were for positions where degrees were necessary, and we have found that fas is by far the best location to source staff. Whilst you get a lot of dross coming through, these can be weeded out easily.
My experience is that the people who make it through are highly highly motivated, are really well qualified, were unlucky to lose their job due to the downturn. They are usually able to start immediately, and their salary expectations have significantly adjusted to the new reality.
Funnily enough, we advertised all the same roles on gradireland, and the university sites, but got zero benefit from same.

So from now on, I've decided that all future recruiting needs will be advertised on fas only (as well as our own site).
A couple of annoyances are that it's a bit of a pain in the behind when setting yourself up on the site, but it's pretty straightforward from then on.
Also the code behind the site isn't up to much, has crashed a couple of times on me when posting a new job notice, and I have to start again from scratch, but minor irritations in reality

Just a word of caution. We had a vacancy last year for a part-time administration post. Fairly standard stuff- reception, phone and some basic bookkeeping.

Put the ad up on FAS and got close to 400 CVs emailed. It was a nightmare trying to sift through them to a manageable amout to consider for interview.

Make your ad as specific as possible.

I'd go with FÁS as well. Back in the day (when we could hire people!) it was all done through FÁS.

Back