Where do I stand - Chasing payments that we missed

milo

I have had someone working on accounts for some time, we have identified about 10 customers who purchased goods from us and we supplied them but payment was not taken by use either due to error or not having correct systems in place, the value of this is about €3500 overall.

The items were purchased from us in 2008.

What would people think of us following up with these people to get payment on this?

Could offer some form of discount as it was our error!

Interested in hearing views on this.

Well I'm no solicitor but I wouldn't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get paid. Regardless of the fact that you haven't pursued your debtors, the debt still exists. The goods were provided and you should be paid.

It's good that you're willing to offer a discount. That should soften the blow for the debtors a bit.

Do you still trade with these customers? If so, it might be best left alone.
Is €3.5k material in the overall scheme of things? How would you feel getting an invoice for 2008 in July 2010? Would you bad mouth an operation if they did that to you?

Personally, I would invoice for them but I would like to discuss it with them in advance so that there is no bad feeling.

Wouldn't make a big issue out of it on the face of the invoice as Revenue have strict rules on invoicing i.e. within 30 days of providing the service/goods. So don't put any description re: 2008 on invoice that is kept for Revenue.

Back