Where can I use my prepaid credit card ?

joeysully

Hi

I received a pre-paid master-card for doing some product testing from an American company. I had to activate it online at [broken link removed]

So I activated it and have since tried it in several places but none will accept it or if they do then the transaction fails. Its a swipe card without chip&pin.

I contacted mastercard by phone and was told by a very laid back girl that the retailer would not accept the card and to try it somewhere else and its all set up and working OK.

So believing that it is set up then where can I spend it?
I have so far tried
Esso
Centra
Halfords
O' Donovans offy
all say the card is rejected.

thanks in advance

Why did those places reject it? Mastercard should be accepted nearly everywhere, except for Lidl and Aldi.

They shouldn't have rejected it because it's not a chip and pin card - many cards aren't chip and pin, especially those coming from foreign countries, so the shops should be allowing for that. Instead of putting your card in the chip and pin device, you should hand it to the sales assistant, they should swipe it, give the card back to you and ask you to sign a receipt.

thanks fot the reply

yes everywhere I went they did swipe it and each time it was declined by the machine. A second phone call to MasterCard has given me no joy. they say its all set up correctly. I couldn't even add it to my paypal account.

Those cards will typically only work online. I have had many of them and none of them would work in a physical merchant here. Also most of them will not work outside of the USA. Amazon.com would take it.

Waste of time contacting Mastercard, you should contact the card issuer, it is their problem. It is likely that it can only be used online.

Back