When to buy into Quinnlife funds/etfs?

firstin

Hi, I'm thinking of making my first investment soon. I've got almost 20,000euros together in savings to invest. I've read quite a lot of the great info about ETF's and Quinnlife/Rabo funds. And think Quinnlife is the best option for me as I hope to leave the money untouched for more than 5 years but cannot be certain of my circumstances over the next 5 years so its possible that i may need to access the money before then.
My question is when is a good time to start? I guess what i'm looking for is speculation on whether the dow, ftse, iseq will continue to fall much further. I know i should be taking the long term view, but it makes sense to start at as low a price as possible. Or do people have any good sites that speculate on stock index movements?

Hear what you are saying Clubman but surely logic says that if you are in a position to buy it is better to buy when prices are low cos basically you get more for your money.

It matters little that I can buy 100 shares of one company for €1 each rather than 1 share of another company for €100. What matters is how the two companies are likely to perform in the future in terms of dividend payments and capital appreciation and which is likey to be the better investment. The same applies to other equity investments.

i appreciate what you are saying Clubman, i read an earlier post where someone was not too happy about the recent losses incurred on the irish market, i can see that this is not the viewpoint to take when investing you should look at things from a much longer term view, but it would still be nice to start by buying in at a good time.
from what i've learned so far people invest based on technical or fundamental analysis or both, it sounds to me like you invest based on fundamental analysis.
i've been reading the market commentary on ino.com today, and they predict further bearish outlook for the nasdaq and s&p500, ino's commentary seems to based on technical tools such as rsi and stochastics, i haven't learned much about how these tools work or what they mean, i hope to spend more time over the next few weeks learning.
do you have any faith in any technical analysis tools such as these or are there other expert opinions out there that you could recommend?
as a beginner i'm going decide when to open my account based on opinions on this forum and other sites that are recommended.

There's 2 reasons really to invest
1)Long term you believe equity offers good returns so you invest and leave your money ignoring short term ups and downs
2)You believe based on your analysis of the markets you can make gains by actively trading

Even though there are tons of theories,approaches,tools etc to (2) ,professional traders ,fund managers etc are wrong as often as right in the decisions they make

There is no point over analysing the stock markets I think but now that say the ISEQ has taken a hit I would agree that I would prefer to be investing now then 6 months ago. But how much lower it will go or when it will bounce back is anyones guess

thanks for the replies. haven't read this thread yet or heard about or considered the DCA approach, seems like a good idea. i'll read the thread in detail later. thanks again.

Back