When can I start taking rent/change the locks?

irishbogger

Hi folks,
Apologies for the flood of threads, however I find this forum to be full of no-nonsense advise, unlike other forums.

So, I have paid a 10% deposit on an apartment which currently has tenants in it.

I plan next week to transfer the remaining balance owed to my solicitor's Client Account.

How long after I do this can I start taking rent from the current tenants and do things like change the locks etc.?

Many thanks for any help

The date of the Settlement is the date you take legal ownership of the property....in other words the day your solicitor makes the final payment of any monies owing to the vendor. Ask your solicitor what date he thinks that might be.......he is the only one that will have a good idea.
You are by all accounts buying a property with sitting tenants. Again ask your solicitor what your rights are here. The present tenants have a lease/arrangement with the present owner.... not you. If it were me I would have a lease drawn up and request deposit and rent in advance....all arranged before settlement. If there are tenants in the property why do you want to change the locks?

Thanks for the info.

I called yesterday to the current tenants, very nice people. They had a 'casual lease' with the old property owner and plan on moving out in May.

I have no problem with this, however I plan on taking ownership of the property before then so want to ensure I am not missing out on any rent.

Thank you for the info - I plan on seeing my Solicitor early next week

Back