When are new tax certs issued for 2006?

Bluebean

And what do you do in the meantime? Processing monthly payroll at the end of January, I've only received tax certs relevant to 2006 for a handful of employees. I rang the revenue, and found the lady was very abrupt and said something along the lines that you just use the same credits and cut off point as last year, but put everyone on a week/month 1 basis. Is this the correct thing to do?
Thanks.

They normally arrive within the first couple of months of the new tax year. If you don't have the new tax certs then you just have to use last year's credits and your payroll package or calulations should take account of the changes when the new tax certs arrive (e.g. grant outstanding relief etc.).

Thanks Clubman. Last year I thought I received the new certs before running January payroll, and then I got updated certs in March reflecting the budget changes.
So I've done all my payroll year end reports etc. and run the update disk - so do I need to put everyone on a week1 basis, or just leave everyone as normal and let the package realise that its the start of a new year?
thanks.

Thanks. Having just done a 'test run' on a few employees, it looks like it doesn't make any difference whether they are on week1 or normal, the net pay is the very same.
Roll on the new certs and a (tiny!) few extra euro in the paypacket!

You (or the company) might want to flag the issue with employees who are affected just in case they get a fright or bombard you with queries.

Week 1/Month 1 status won't make any difference for the monthly payroll in January as it is the start of the tax year. It only makes a difference if it is introduced at a later date in the tax year as it doesn't take into account any unused credits, which there obviously won't be in January. Any payroll software system will take into account changes when the new certs are received and input, usually in February, and backdate changes to Jan 1st

Back