What's my car worth?

abbie

I'm looking to trade in my '03 corolla for a '05 corolla. I checked cbg.ie to see what my car was approx. worth - the prices varied from 12,000 to 16,000. How do I know what minimum price to put on my car so I don't get fleeced by a garage. Any advice appreciated.

Ring the garages, tell them you're looking for an '03 Corolla in good condition, and see what they have on offer...? ;) (but don't expect them to offer you anything like the same money for your own!)

I would try to sell it privately for somewhere between does figures, depending on condition,mileage etc.
look at www.carzone.ie also

remember you'll get a better deal as a cash buyer of the 05 corolla.

but you might get a better trade in than most because its the same car.

do your homework first , then drop into the garage and haggle.

I wouldn't bother ringing them, because the websites will give you all the info you need.
Try the car manufacturers irish website also, to get an idea of what your car is worth.

check the auto trader for rough prices and wil give you an idea.try to sell your car privately and then go to a garage with cash you can haggle like mad over a price with cash

Only thing with selling privately is that there seems to be a huge amount of cars out there on teh market. As a result it could take you some time to sell. I have been trying for a month now and have dropped the price considerable and still no bites!

traded my 02 corolla last oct (terra 5 door)
was told by a few dealers the book price was @12500 so yours might be a little higher, it being earlier in the year.
Best thing ( other than selling private) is to fix the exact car you want i.e model, trim e.t.c and when you go to the dealers tell them this is the only car looking at and at least you should be able to compare their prices accurately - best trade price might not necessarily be best overall price depending on their price for the car you want

abbie said:
I'm looking to trade in my '03 corolla for a '05 corolla. I checked cbg.ie to see what my car was approx. worth - the prices varied from 12,000 to 16,000. How do I know what minimum price to put on my car so I don't get fleeced by a garage. Any advice appreciated.

Best site to check is the Revenue one for calculatring VRT on an import,
https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator
that will give you the open Market Selling Price for your car today, e.g.:

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY DATE: 23 February 2006 TIME: 22:48 STATISTICAL CODE: 40188897 MAKE: TOYOTA MODEL: COROLLA 1.4 (Dec. 2001 - Mar. 2004) VERSION: VVTI TERRA 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY / MILEAGE: 36000 MILES The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below. DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 2003 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
(applicable on enquiry date) €12884 RATE OF TAX: 22.5% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date)
€2898

What is Open market Selling Price?

Is it Trade in price or Garage price or Book price?
and how does the VRT office calculate that figure?? Magic wand!

Abbie,

The best advice I can give you is to combine a few differant variations of the previous posts.

Firstly, look at Buy and sell, Autotrader and basically any magazine that allows private advertisers and try to get the average price for your car. Make sure you are comparing like with like (ie same year, engine type, body style and similar mileage as your vehicle). Don't bother looking at dealer websites and dealer price lists. If a dealer is advertising a vehicle for sale at €20,000, you can be sure that he's not going to offer someone with an identical vehicle €20,000 on a trade in. There's no profit for them, so it's logical to assume that the offer with be several thousand less.

Secondly, take a few digital photos of you car. Open the golden pages and ring around as many Toyota dealers as you are prepared to travel to. Speak to the salesman and ask for his email address. Send him the pics of your car and ask for price. Whatever price he gives you ask how much he is prepared to better it by. Never tell him, (and he will ask) how much you want for it, tell him it's his job to be competitive. I would then say that you will think about it and hang up. Write each price down and when you've called them all decide if you are prepared to part exchange for the money the best two or three dealers quoted. Starting with the third worst price, call them back and advise them that you have a better price and ask them will they better it? Continue with all three dealers along this line until you sense that they will go no further. At the end of all that you should have a pretty decent price for your car without driving around dealers and negotiating on their territory. Don't be afraid to play dealers against each other, as long as you don't lie about a price you received you'll be okay.
When you using this method with VW last month the differance between the best and worst prices I got was €5,500!

good write up Mez, but most dealers (i've talked too) wont give you a price over the phone, normaly its "oh, sure i'd have to see it first like"
emailing is a good idea, but they already have a book price for your car anyway so most of them will ignore that.
and carzone.ie, cbg.ie , local newspaper,autotrader all have private sellers as well.

get out there and haggle abbie!

You're right when you say that most dealers won't give a price over the phone, but I've counteracted that issue by emailing them the pics and saying to them that I won't hold them to a price until they've actually seen the vehicle at their premises. Providing you're not hiding anything from them and have told the truth about your car, they will stick to the price.

Back