What's involved in building a chimney?

NickyK

Hi,

I live in a log house and use OFCH only. I've been looking into getting a solid fuel stove but am stuck for somewhere to put it. I had a guy out today to see if it was possible to put in a stove but I'm caught because the flue would have to clear eaves and a set of windows on a dormer. The length of flue would be difficult to secure. Basically the only way around it I can see is to build a small chimney.

What's involved in doing this and what kind of €€€€€ am I looking at?

Thanks,

Nicky

Hi, It may be possible to use a length of 50mm industrial heating pipe to support the flue. These come in 6m lengths.It could be put in a concrete base and secured to the eave of the house, the flue could be fixed to it.

I hope this helps

I had a similar problem with a log cabin where I wanted to heat with a wood burning stove. I put in a metal flue and an electric fan on top to create a "draw" and thus enable the stove to function properly. Works brilliantly. If you need to have bends on the flue they dont matter as I am told they only increase the draw. But remember you do need an interior vent or two or a partially open window to ensure a constant flow of fresh air from outside.

But remember you do need an interior vent or two or a partially open window to ensure a constant flow of fresh air from outside.

A partially open window won't comply with building regs, and for very good reason!

I allways thought that a stove drawing the air for combustion directly from the room is inefficient, could an air supply to the stove from outside be arranged to eliminate this using a duct?

I allways thought that a stove drawing the air for combustion directly from the room is inefficient, could an air supply to the stove from outside be arranged to eliminate this using a duct?
if you want a separate duct for a stove great. but you still need ventilation for the households inhabitants

Back