What would you recommend

zurgno1

Hi there I’m just looking for help in choosing a health insurance, i have been away in Canada for the last 5 years,
I never had health insurance, I’m in great health,

I’m 51, I believe i will be loaded

is there a plan that covers every ailment , I hear so many times well ur not covered for that etc

Maybe that I’m in good health, I don’t need all the extras

I was thinking of public private, maybe Semi private,

could possibly spend 20-30 a week

any help appreciated thanks

Hi zurgno1,

Welcome to AAM. Firstly, if you were living in Canada on 15th May 2019, you do not have to pay any loading on your premium.
That is if you are no more than 9 months back in Ireland. You have 9 months to take out a health insurance policy from the date of return
to Ireland. The following link explains fully about Lifetime Community Rating, question 14 is relevant to your situation.
https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

If all of the above applies to you, the following plans are worth considering;
1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1230pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year
for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. All surgeries are covered on this plan.
Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp, consultants,dental, physio etc upto a max refund of 500 per year.

2. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 1367pa; all public, private(including full cover for a private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech
excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 100 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess,
refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants visits, etc up to a max of 1000 refund per year,(50% of 2000 = 1000).

3. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1370pa; all public, private(private room fully covered) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped
at 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover, but the first 100 not allowed. Refund of
50% for consultant visits, gp, etc. up to a max refund of 7650 per year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Option 1 costs 24 euro per week, options 2 + 3 costs 27 euro per week.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,

i have been home for a year now so i have been told the loading will apply, if that is the case do the above plans still apply to me, and if so which do u think might be the better option to consider, also is the loading applied every year?

zurgno1,

That's unfortunate, to miss out on avoiding the loading by a few months.
Yes, the loading is applied every year forever.
It is calculated as 2% for every year you are over 34 years which is 17 years x 2% = 34% loading.

So, for example Laya Simply Connect plan would cost 1230 + 418 = 1648pa. (31 euro per week)
Simply Connect ticks all the boxes you would need.

Unless if you prefer a private room in a private hospital, the other 2 plans would apply.
The cost would be 1835pa.

Regards, Snowyb

The 34% is added on to the gross cost (I.e before tax relief).
So an advertised cost of e.g €1,000 becomes 1200 +34% =1,608 -200 tax relief so nett cost is €1408.

Back