What would you do in my situation? First year primary teaching at 27

RJD

Hi all,

I'm just working out the best option to set myself up longterm and I'd appreciate any advice.

I've just started my first pensionable job at 27 as a primary school teacher. I'm classed as a new entrant so I wont be able to access my pension until 65.

That gives me roughly 38 years of earning to do before 65. If I retire around the 55 mark, the actuarial cost on doing that is huge, in that my pension would only be around 58% of what it should have been.

I'd like to invest in something that would soften that blow if I did decide to retire early... or... add to my earnings if I do decide to stay until 65. (Unlikely!)

I've been to a number of financial services "experts" and end up telling them how it all works for new entrant primary teachers so it is slightly frustrating!

Many thanks for your help and keep up the good work!

Hi, went through the same rigmarole 6 months ago and found that Cornmarket were up to speed on this issue, they will "push/recommend AVC's" but that's your choice. Search my previous post or PM me and I can give you name of guy I met.

You need to see if you can buy additional years, through AVC (Additional Voluntary Contributions) etc.

Back