What to supply for a rental.

J

jay567

Hi all,

Im a new land lord and was wondering if i need to suply the below items to my tenents. ?
Bed linen.
Pillows.
duvet.
tv.
Thanks in advance for the help.

J.

Hi

I've rented for years and never had any bed linen, duvets etc. supplied (most people would prefer to have their own). Have had a TV supplied in a couple of places - it was a nice plus but it is not the norm, also there is a high risk of damage etc.

jay567 said:
Hi all,

Im a new land lord and was wondering if i need to suply the below items to my tenents. ?
Bed linen.
Pillows.
duvet.
tv.
Thanks in advance for the help.

J.

For hygiene reasons usually the tenant supply their own bed linen, pillows and duvet.
A tv is a most if they don't have their own.

But I would always ask first it form a good platform between landlord and tenant from the start.

I've supplied new duvets & pillows for my tenants - in one case it was a single mother who had just left her abusive husband with the clothes on her back and the second case was 2 Polish couples who just arrived from Poland and only had their clothes in the car.

The duvets etc. weren't very expensive and they really appreciated the gesture. Both properties are kept clean and tidy with the grass cut regularly and the rent is paid bang on time. It's a small price to pay for a good relationship with a tenant.

Most important thing you should put on the bed(s) is a good matress protector.

As a tenant I wouldn't expect either to be provided. I definitely would not use the bed linen.

A mattress protector is a definite must have - but change it with the tenant!

A TV would be a plus for most tenants.

I suppose it depends on the tenant and the landlord, but it is not the norm to provide a TV or bed linen.

As a tenant, I was always supplied with a TV, Toaster, Kettle, Microwave, cutlery, delph, and pots and pans - Believe you me, I did leave in plenty of rentals in my time.
Only on one occasion was I supplied with duvet & linen and whilst it was appreciated, I really preferred my own and one of the first things I did when I moved into that rental was put my own items on the bed.
Mattress protectors are essential - seriously! But again change them every time you change tenants.
As a word of advice, you might want to itemise the television (if you choose to provide one) on your lease, along with a guide value, and place a clause that if it is damaged, it will then have to be replaced with one of equal value. Also, remember to make the TV licence either your responsibility or that of the tenant and make that very clear!
HTH

Back