What to do with lump Sum for next 12-24 months

edenrose

Will be getting a lump sum of about 50 grand soon which i will use within the next 12-24 months to build a home but in the mean time what is the best option open to me to make the most of this money. Should a invest in shares or put in into a deposit account.?

1-2 years is probably too short a period to invest in equities with the possible exception of very low risk/reward funds and even then perhaps not... Chances are the only option is to maximise your deposit returns. Check out the best rates on offer for lump sums and regular savings in the Financial Best Buys forum.

Short term - I would say Rabo/Northern Rock/First Active as usual for best deposit rates.

Unlesss you wanted to invested in a Protected Fund from ES (thereby you can get equity exposure but also have a capital guarantee, the fund management charge is higher than standard funds at 1.5% per annum).

Short term - I would say Rabo/Northern Rock/First Active as usual for best deposit rates.
Maybe backed up by one or more of the c. 7% regular saver accounts that have terms & conditions, restrictions, access that suits your specific needs. For example the EBS one seems to be the most flexible in terms of varying payments, access etc.

Back