What to do with Bin tax charge bill?

W

witchymand

I got a new bill for the year ahead, and it is working out at over 700 euro per year, I am not going to go on again and again about what a rip off this is, as we all know it is, but is it worth fighting it in the courts with Dun Laoghaire rathdown co co, or has anyone had any experience as to what to do, or is it just one of those things like the M50 that you lie down and pay it?
Thanks for any advice.

Where do you get the €700 from? I have my DLR CoCo bill beside me, and they are charging me €350 for the year on account. The actual charges are made up as follows;

- €80 standing charge per annum per house
- €4 per bin lift
- €0.20 per kilo

The only way you can make €700 is by putting out a 40 kilos of waste every single week of the year. Have you considered a bit of reduce, reuse, recycle or will you just rush straight down to the courts?

In no way is this a tax. Its a service charge which anyone outside dublin has been paying for years.
700 is very steep though if you are correct!

Where do you get the €700 from?

Maybe it includes unpaid arrears?

I don't have any real objection to paying the charges but even within a single administrative area there is a lot of inequity. For example my Dublin City Council area remains on the bag collection so we pay €2.50 for each bag tag on a "pay as you go" basis. As it happens due to recycling/composting we tend to only put out a single bag once every 3 to 6 weeks. Most other householders are subject to a fixed charge plus a per lift charge so their bill will inevitably be a lot higher. I'm happy with the "pay as you go" approach but it doesn't really seem fair on others!

Looks like arrears to me too. Are those bills sent out in advance, ie for the year ahead? If so, would you consider recycling as much as possible and using the dump to avoid paying it?

I only have to go to the dump at most once a month with all my black bags so my yearly refuse bill is at most 120e. Havent done it yet but am going to try and claim tax back on this so it should be even less.
The boot of the car is a bit smelly for half an hour, but then a quick spray of brut/old spice/anything else you got for xmas and wouldnt spray on a skunks This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language, makes it better (or worse!!). :lol

FYI, and I know at least 2 others here use it, Ballymount have put their price for a car up to a tenner.

Rubbish

Where do you keep the black bags before you go to the dump car?

I manage my waste similar to you and could get away with going even less often than I do but the smell gets the better of me. I'm afraid to leave them outside in case of rodents.

Rebecca

Re: Rubbish

Where do you keep the black bags before you go to the dump car?

We keep our bag out the back in a plastic refuse bin with a clamp on lid until we fill it and eventually put it out.

I'm afraid to leave them outside in case of rodents.

You mean you keep them indoors!? :x

Car, come down to Cork and your 12 trips will cost you 240 euro as the City Council helpfully doubled the cost per car from 10 euro to 20 euro.
I have been sayign here for months that one of the main issue is the differing level of charges. People feel they are being done because they can see all these other people in other areas getting better services for half the price.

heres the best one of all. In Cork City Dump they take fridges off you for 20 euro I think, it might be 30 euro.
However, thats only if you bring the fridge over in a car. So lets say yo uhave a big chest freezer. if you wheel the thing in hanging out the back of your hatch back, 30 euro.

If you bring it ovr in a far safer manner say in the back of a van or a large trailer they will not 100% take it off you. So its the same item, the same cost but they won't take it from you depending on how you got it there. Happened to my brother in law, I heard someone else on the radio who had the exact same thing.

So obviously it seems you need to bring it over there in a van and swop it into the back of your car just outside the dump gates.

For sheer stupidty I am finding it hard to beat it.

The bin bags

Yep, I keep them inside. In the utility room (which is v big). It works a bit differently here; I go to the dump once a fortnight (or once a week) and pay by bag. I pass it on the way to work so it's not big deal. I only have a tiny back yard/patio and hate the idea of looking out at a bin (if I even had one).

Rebecca

dump

I have a black wheelie bin and a green wheelie bin out the back.
I fill up both wheelie bins with black bags before goin to dump so theyre never left out in the open. I get anything from 7-10 bags into the bins before theyre full. (thats with meself,missus car and baby car but Ive another another mini due next week so dump frequency will be increasing in more ways then one :) ) The green bin gets filled up with loose paper/cardboard/tins (wash the tins) beside the black bags.

Ive got another bag for plastics and another box for bottles, these are kept in the shed.
The green bin gets put out once a month and theres no charge for this. Theres also no charge if youre recycling in the dump, so about once every 2-3 months I drop off all the plastics and bottles for free. Just remember to rinse everything youre recycling else gunk accumulates
Took a while to get into the routine but am at it now about 2 years. Works for me and keeps costs down.

I feel for the other charges you guys are paying down the country. How much are the regular bin charges in cork?
They had that rule about the fridges and vans in dublin too, although I think the fridges are now free but yet there are charges for other lekky goods like microwaves and the like.
They'll also let small vans through now (I think)!.

MissR, which dump do you go to that lets you pay by bag?

Dumps

Roscommon Town does it by bag but so does Ballaghaderreen, I think. They are special County Council bags which are quite big, so in theory you could squash quite a lot into it, but I don't. There is a bring centre there and you can bring the other usual stuff too; papers, mags, bottles, clothes, fridges, batteries etc. The recycling thing is free, which is great, esp seeing as I pass it everyday.

Maybe I will do as Clubman and get a big bin outside. You'd think someone would have come up with more aesthetically pleasing ones (not the ones with the fake hedge sticky-back-plastic) though!!

Rebecca

And dont forget to claim your tax rebate

If you pay for the year you get 20% relief.

www.revenue.ie/

Link in top centre, click it and enter your RSI number and amount you pay annually

looks like you can only claim relief if its a local authority service charge so no relief if you get rid of your rubbish yourself.

from the rev site...

SERVICE CHARGES

Who can Claim
An Individual/Spouse who pays service charges in full and on time. (Local Authority decides whether it is on time). or
A Son/Daughter who pays the charges in full and on time and is living with elderly parent on premises.

Service Charges that Qualify All Service charges paid to:
1) Local Authorities for -
Domestic water supply
Domestic refuse collection
Domestic sewage disposal

2) Group water schemes for domestic water supply.
3) Private Contractors for domestic refuse collection.

Relief Due 2002 et seq **- Full amount paid in the immediately preceding financial year (e.g. amount paid in the year ended 31/12/2001 can be claimed in 2002) at the standard rate of tax for payments to Local Authorities and Private Contractors.
Tag System - Max Relief - €195 at the standard rate of tax

2001 - Maximum Relief £150 x standard rate of tax for payments to both Local Authorities, and Private Contractors.

Prior years - Private Contractors - Maximum relief - £50 at the standard rate of tax.

Relief is not limited to principal private residence and may be claimed for more than one domestic residence, e.g. Holiday Home - subject to the overall maximum of £150

Refuse Charges

Speaking of refuse charges and tax......

I live in D15 and put out my black bin every two/three weeks. I need to put a tag on this which costs €3.50 each time. There's a counterfoil on this tag which says to 'keep it for tax purposes'

Reading the above links though Tax relief is only available if you pay in full once a year.

Can anyone advise on this? Cn I send in all my counterfoils and claim ?

Re: Refuse Charges

Reading the above links though Tax relief is only available if you pay in full once a year.

Can anyone advise on this? Cn I send in all my counterfoils and claim ?

No. Tax relief for tag usage is granted at a flat rate. If you also pay a fixed service charge I'm not sure if you claim both flat rate and tag credits. You can claim these credits online. See .

Back