What to do with €3,000

Colblimp

I have €3,000 burning a hole in my pocket. Now, I know it's not a lot of money, but I want to stick it somewhere as safe as possible and get a half decent return. Any comments/suggestions/put-downs?!

Do you need instant access to the cash?

If the answer is Yes then the best buy is Anglo Irish at 4.75%.
If the answer is No then the best buy for a one year term deposit is Anglo Irish at 5.25%.

Rates are likely to fall in the coming months so it is better to lock if you can.

Thanks for that Fungus, I don't need instant access to the cash. Am I right in thinking that Anglo Irish is the bank where one has to tell ones life story before an account can be opened?! Am I also right in thinking that any amount up to €100,000 is guaranteed by the government?

The account opening process is not that painful with Anglo.

100% of your deposit regardless of the amount is state guaranteed until September 2010.

why anyone would want to put money in Anglo oirish, now is beyond me, even if they were giving 6% interest, I just couldn't do it, even though I own part of it now, I'd rather put my money elsewhere not that any of the other banks are saints either.

as there is probably more chance of a purge of the board of directors in anglo rather than anywhere else due to government interest and control, going forward they may be cleaner than the other banks who seem just as dirty with revelation after revelation

Back