what to do when solicitor is closing down

Ndiddy

We got a letter that the solicitor's office that we used 7 years ago to buy our house is closing down. Is there anything we should do before they are closed? With just conveyancing, are there documents we should request?

Get all your physical files off the Solicitor, even though they might be closed off. You might need them again.

Get original Deeds, Wills etc back off the Solicitor.

Be sure that you get any monies owed to you that may be held on the Client Account.

Ask for a copy of the Client Ledger in respect of each file to satisfy yourself you’re not owed anything.

The OP bought not sold though so doubtful any money is outstanding. Have you a new solicitor ? I would ask him to forward your file to another solicitor. I wanted some info on my mortgage from 2010 a few years ago and my solicitor checked the file to get the info for me which was handy.

The OP bought not sold though so doubtful any money is outstanding.
Correct in most cases, but you never know, there could be a few hundred euro to the client’s credit in the client account. On more than one occasion I was surprised to get a cheque out of the blue from Solicitors in respect of monies held to my credit which I never knew about. For example, the Solicitor may have quoted and charged the client monies based on estimates only to end up disbursing less than what they took from the client, leading to a credit due back to the client.

It’s not uncommon for some Solicitors, particularly older firms, to hold tens (or in some cases hundreds) of thousands of euro for a multitude of clients which haven’t found their way back to the client.

We used a solicitor when buying a new house and selling the old one. About 2 years later we received a cheque after a review of their accounts. About a year after that we received another one. Always thought it was strange.

Back in the day, a friend newly qualified as a solicitor went to work in a long established country town practice. Given the job of "tidying up" old files, he discovered several quite substantial cheques FROM clients which were resting, uncashed, in the files! Some had been there for decades.

Back in the day, a friend newly qualified as a solicitor went to work in a long established country town practice. Given the job of "tidying up" old files, he discovered several quite substantial cheques FROM clients which were resting, uncashed, in the files! Some had been there for decades.
Maybe they knew they would bounce...

We used a solicitor when buying a new house and selling the old one. About 2 years later we received a cheque after a review of their accounts. About a year after that we received another one. Always thought it was strange.
Just got one in the post today. House sold and house purchased in 2018!

Back