Key Post What to do if you face harassment or intimidation by debt collectors.

GDUFFY

Copied from:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/debt_collection.html

Harassment and intimidation

All debt collectors, including private individuals and debt collection agencies, are covered by Section 11 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997. This provides that a person is guilty of an offence if he/she makes any demand for payment of a debt and if:

• The demands are so frequent as to be calculated to subject you or a member of your family to alarm, distress or humiliation, or
  • The person falsely represents that criminal proceedings lie for non-payment of the debt, or
  • The person falsely represents that he or she is authorised in some official capacity to enforce payment, or
  • The person utters a document falsely represented to have an official character
If you are subjected to such behaviour by your creditor or by a debt collection agency, you should report the matter to the Gardaí.

Report them if you think they are being heavy handed.
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

Both sides of the fence

I have a few debts that debt collectors are chasing me for. I'm gradually discharging my debts.
I also recently didn't get paid for a job I put a lot of time and effort into and I was highly annoyed about it.
So I can see both points of view.

And maybe a bit of intimidation is necessary in some cases. :)

Back