Home what should be included when calculating home rebuild cost?

Randy

hi folks,

am in the process of renewing home insurance, but not at €1054 as quoted by my existing insurer.

I'm trying to give a reasonably accurate rebuild cost for the property but am unsure as to what is included as part of the rebuild?

Am I correct in thinking that in the event of requiring a full rebuild, I should include the main structure, which I presume includes all electrical, plumbing and plastering as well as doors and finishes? Does it also include reinstatement of kitchen and appliances and also bathroom and fittings incl tiling and finally does it include fitted wardrobes...or are all of these items covered under the contents element of the cover?

Thanks for any help

Randy

in general anything that can be easily removed is contents as as stated if you turn your house upside down anything that fall to the ground is contents.

Wardrobes are building if built in and contents if free standing
Carpets are contents
Tiling is building
Kitchen units are building
Sanitwary ware is building
Timber floor if installed under skirting is building
Timber floor if beaded or click type is generally contents but this varies from insurer to insurer
Appliances are contents
Bathrooms fittings like toilet roll holders etc would be classed as contents

the scs rebuilding publication has a very good layout for you to work the value

A rebuild reinstatement value calculation should include the following:

1. Demolishing structure including grubbing up floors and foundations etc.
2. Clearing demolitions from the site
3. Preparing the site for a new structure
4. Rebuilding of the structure to current Building Regulations
5. Professional fees to cover cost of documentation preparation and project Administration
5. VAT on all of the above

You can calculate your Rebuild House Insurance value on selfbuildrates.ie and on scsi.ie

Back