what programme to use to make a booklet?

coleen

Hi
I am involved in a voluntary org and we want to make a 6 to 8 page booklet with details of our service phone numbers policies etc. We do not have publishing in our computer . Is there any thing we could download free to make a nice booklet. Is there any programme that would make this professional looking. Also any advice on binding these we need to make about 50 at the moment, and we do not have much cast to spend on these. Any advice welcome

You need a DTP (desktop publishing) application. But you might be able to use a Word Processing package instead as many have enough DTP features for simple jobs. Depends how complex the booklet booklet is going to be. Will there be pictures, photos, how many colours, whats the layout going to be? Etc. I'd probably try something of a Computer Magazine Cover Disc.

If you have Micro$oft Office (any version) installed on your computer then you should have templates which include layouts for brochures printed on standard A4 paper and folded to suit.

For something functional, presentable and low-cost which can be produced, modified and printed in-house, this is probably your best bet.

Learning to use a DTP program (apart from acquiring one) can be expensive and time-consuming.

Presumably if you are already looking at the means of production, you are already clear on the message and content of your brochures. If so, maybe approaching a local print-house / design outfit for a freebie could save you some time (and money).

Thanks for those links. We should be able to make one from office and we could use some fancy paper to make it look good.

If you are based in Dublin drop into Reads printing bureau. They will quickly and easily set up the booklet for you and print it on what ever paper you require. They are really cheap and hassle free. Have done a few booklets there (wedding/Mass booklets etc...)

Wouldnt imagine it would cost more than a few euros if only 50 booklets by 8 pages, and it would save you a load of time and hassle. They dont charge extra for the layout either (as far as I remember)

I've no association with reads.

I did our Wedding booklet using Microsoft Word - years ago and it looked very good, as you say, good paper, and a few well chosen logos here and there will make all the difference. If you have a duplex printer even better, otherwise figure out what way you need to feed in the paper to make it print on the 'other side'. There's an option in Word under the Format Menu - Columns which will enable you to convert regular pages to columned pages...looks well in booklets. If you want colour on the front, maybe get those front pages printed in the likes of Read's. Good luck.

If you are a voluntary organisation, depending on what the organisation is - you could try ringing some printing companies in your area, telling them what you are doing and how good your intentions are, and ask would they produce your booklet for free in exchange for a mention on the back of the leaflet. I used to work in the printing industry and we would often help charities out like this, specially if it's just a few copies that can be photocopied. Or get one company to do the layout for you and another to do the photocopying for you if you can't get someone to do both for free.

Back