What powers do Liquidators have.

system

Hi All

I am part of a group of employees made redundant by a compulsory liquidation. The revenue are demanding a P45, Copy of the companies statement of affairs and confirmation that he is in receipt of the company records before any payments

Our issue is that the liquidator doesnt have the full company records as the company accountants are saying they have not been paid and will not release them until payment is made. We have given the liquidator our payslips but revenue are still not satified.

Can the liquidator demand the records be released from the accountant

Thanks

Based on the facts you have outlined. No, they will have to pay the accountants bill first.

Wow.
The whole reason it was liquidated was because it couldn't pay anyone( including employees). There will be no funds left over to pay the accountants and the bill is high.

Where does this leave us? The revenue aren't being particularly helpful.

Liquidators are given very strong powers to procure books and records without making any payment. For example, liquidators can obtain copies of bank statements without making any payment.

If liquidators did not have such powers it would be difficult for them to carry out proper investigations.

The liquidator should threaten the accountants with legal action to procure the books and records. If the liquidator has to issue legal proceedings then he would recover his legal costs from the accountants.

Jim Stafford

I may be wrong, but in the very recent past the liquidators entered a Galway city hotel while a wedding was in progress and proceeded to take over the premises whilst allowing for wedding to continue, etc. This was despite the owner doing his best to stop it. Some powers in their armoury to say the least.

And so the saga continues.

Is there anything we as a group can do? I don't see why the accountants wouldn't surrender the accounts under threat- I can understand their upset- we feel it too.

As a liquidator i'd imagine he would have known all about the information required this before he made any submissions to the insolvency section dept.

Again can we do anything?

Back