What legally is a months notice?

E

Emg2001

Hi all,

My question is what exactly legally is a months notice. Is it a month from when you give the notice or is it a month from when you normally pay the rent? Also is there a good place to get a defination of this?

I have been paying my rent monthly from the 1st of the month. I gave notice to my landlord on the 22nd of April. For the following month I gave him 3/4 of the rent, thinking this covered me for giving a months notice, as that should cover until about the 21st/22nd of May. He took the other 1/4 for May from my deposit. He feels that even though I told him I was leaving in the middle of one month, that I should still have paid the full months rent for May, as that would be my months notice. I fell that paying for 3/4 of May that I have covered my obligation for a months notice in advance, because I told him in April. If I'm completely in the wrong I'd like to know, for future reference, as I'd like not to make this mistake again.

I've been sharing the house with a relative of the landlord, and have done everything through this person. I will say that I told the relative, rather than asked them, that I was paying 3/4 of the rent for May not the whole lot. However the landlord did not contact me at this point. I left the house last weekend and this issue came up when I was getting back my deposit. My first contact with the landlord has been over this issue, although I have met him a couple of times through his relative.

When I moved into this house I moved in on the 21st of the month and paid my deposit plus 1/4 of that months rent and then on the 1st of the next month I paid him a full months rent. I've always paid my rent on time.

Thanks for the help,
E

A 'month' means a calendar month, as provided for by the Interpretation Act 2005.

Back