What is the name of twine used to light oil fire?

Bluebean

hi,

Have an old oil fire in my home house which is now only lit at the weekends (no one living there full time).

We have to light it by hand, using a piece of wire which had what I can only describe as like a twine/gut wrapped around the top of it which we used to dip in to paraffin, light and then put in to the oil for a few minutes.

Whatever this gut/rope stuff was, it doesn't burn away.

Anyway, we are now out of said material, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called.

It must be something similar to a wick on a candle I imagine.

Anyone help me out with the name?

hi,

don't think its asbestos cord - wouldn't that be kinda dangerous?!

Yes, insurance updated to state occupancy/non occupancy. Anything else we should consider now that we're coming close to winter again?

The plan is to get a new heating system in place in the next 2 months anyway, one with a timer so that house can be heated regularly throughout the week.

hi,

don't think its asbestos cord - wouldn't that be kinda dangerous?!

Yes, insurance updated to state occupancy/non occupancy. Anything else we should consider now that we're coming close to winter again?

The plan is to get a new heating system in place in the next 2 months anyway, one with a timer so that house can be heated regularly throughout the week.

The modern day equivalent which is called fireproof cord

are all pipes in attic lagged, HW cylinder lagged etc

no dripping taps in or out

I would have an internal temp stat as well so as if the temp goes below a certain number the heating comes on

I think the word you're looking for is a Taper? See here...

Or look for wax tapers on Ebay. Your average eccliastic shop should have them too - they're used a lot in Churches.

Q

Back