What is government total tax take on motoring?

Dinarius

What is the Irish exchequer’s total tax take on motoring?

By this I mean VAT and duty on the cost of a car, fuel and any taxes applied to insurance. In short, everything.

I’m curious because of so much talk about the appalling state of our public transport, and the recent revelation that Dublin drivers spend, on average, 10 days of their year behind the wheel. (Only two cities in the world are worse, apparently)

If FG were to invest in a proper public transport service for all and take huge numbers of cars off the road, it would be a double hit in terms of cost - in short, it isn’t going to happen.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. And by the way, building a metro link to Dublin Airport is the stuff of FG spin at its truly worst. 1. I can get to Dublin Airport by bus from many, many, locations in 40 minutes for a tenner. 2. To avail of a metro link, I’d have to live near to it. Total cobblers.

It's been a long time since I checked but something like:

Motor taxation: €1bn
VAT & VRT new cars: €1.5bn
Excise and VAT on fuel: €2bn

There is no VAT on insurance.

It's been a long time since I checked but something like:

Motor taxation: €1bn
VAT & VRT new cars: €1.5bn
Excise and VAT on fuel: €2bn

There is no VAT on insurance.

There is 5% for government levy and Insurance compensation fund charged though.

Road tax here is extortionate compared to the likes of the UK, range rover drivers in the UK pay circa £ 350, here it's 1200 minimum

What is the Irish exchequer’s total tax take on motoring?

By this I mean VAT and duty on the cost of a car, fuel and any taxes applied to insurance. In short, everything.

I’m curious because of so much talk about the appalling state of our public transport, and the recent revelation that Dublin drivers spend, on average, 10 days of their year behind the wheel. (Only two cities in the world are worse, apparently)

If FG were to invest in a proper public transport service for all and take huge numbers of cars off the road, it would be a double hit in terms of cost - in short, it isn’t going to happen.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. And by the way, building a metro link to Dublin Airport is the stuff of FG spin at its truly worst. 1. I can get to Dublin Airport by bus from many, many, locations in 40 minutes for a tenner. 2. To avail of a metro link, I’d have to live near to it. Total cobblers.

Are you not in favour of the metro being built? I think the idea (in conjunction with Bus Connects) is to provide an alternative means of transport to motoring, which citizens have been demanding for decades. Many people are forced to drive cars because they have no other realistic options.

If you aren't in favour of the current plans, please detail your alternative proposal for transport in Dublin.

Sorry - it's money you pay to the government or to a government regulated agency so as far as I'm concerned, it's a tax. Call it what you will, it's a tax

Back