Health Insurance What is a semi private room in a private hospital?

Grizzly

Just looking at my Laya renewal for next year.

I see that on my policy I have to pay an excess plus €200 per night in private Hi Tech Hospitals. Mater, Beacon, Blackrock.......are there others?

I am wondering what a semi private room in a private hospital actually is......and does it differ between hospitals?

For example....does a semi private room in the Beacon sleep 6 people or 4 people or 2 people?

Same with the Mater and Blackrock?

Paying an additional €200 per night on top of a hefty excess (€600 in my case) seems a lot if I am sharing a room with several other people?

Are you covered for semi private?
From my experience of a stay in hospital I was covered for semi private. Hospital only seemed to see things as public or private - although they provided semi private. I asked for a private room if available ( I was not automatically entitled to it as some patients were fully private). I paid the difference between their semi private rate and private rate. Hope that makes sense.

I was in the Beacon for a few nights a few years ago.
My policy covered me for a private room, but there was none available.

So I was in a room with another patient.

But on the last night I was moved to a ward with 6 beds in it. However, none of the other beds was occupied.

Blackrock and the Mater have only private rooms and they don't seem to enforce the excess according to SnowyB

Brendan

I was in the Mater Private a few years ago. I was in a 4 bedded ward. I am on Simplicity and I was definitely charged the excess. As far as I remember I had to pay it on admission. This has now changed according to their website

”For any costs not covered by private health insurance, prepayment is now required when confirming the booking for tests, treatments or procedures, and must be received in full 7 days prior to admission.”

There are definitely some still around though they tend to use them for day cases now.

A semi private room has between 2 and 5 beds. Blackrock are the only high tech with private accommodation only.

A few years ago, my daughter needed an overnight stay in a private hospital and was only covered for a semi private room, we were offered a private room at an additional cost which I declined, however she was still put in a private room because they actually had no semi private available that night, so they were just trying to get extra money out of us!

Had a cardiac procedure last June in the Blackrock clinic. I was covered for semi-private, but given a private room. I was in for 2 nights, now see from Brendan's post that the Blackrock only has private rooms. I was not charged any extra.

Back